Understanding the PowerPro

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Understanding the PowerPro

Post by dusty »

Pulleys.PNG
Pulleys.PNG (307.93 KiB) Viewed 20457 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Understanding the PowerPro

Post by JPG »

I dare say the size of the drive sleeve and idler shaft pulleys are the same as the Mark 5/V pulleys.

That being so, I predict the motor pulley to be about 2 times the idler pulley.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:I dare say the size of the drive sleeve and idler shaft pulleys are the same as the Mark 5/V pulleys.

That being so, I predict the motor pulley to be about 2 times the idler pulley.
???
The Mark V Idler Pulley is a variable sheave.

The Mark V Drive Sleeve Pulley is about 1 3/4" in diameter (crude measurement). Power Pro uses the same assembly.

The Power Pro Motor Pulley appears (on the web page) to be about twice that diameter. Therefore, for the moment I am assuming it to be about 3.5" in diameter.

That being the case, if the Striatech motor (PowerPro) is operating at/near its' advertised top speed, the Power Pro would be near top speed of10K rpm (2:1 ratio).

The reason for my quest: That would mean that the Idler Shaft is turning at/near 20K rpm. It is about 1/2 the size of the Drive Sleeve Pullet. That is very nearly the top speed rating for the bearings in the Mark V Idler Shaft Assy. No wonder there is some heat being generated.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

On the conventional head stock the lower shaft spins at 1.6 times the main spindle speed. So if you set the speed dial at say M then the jointer is running at 1.6 X that. If that is still true with the powerpro is then the question. I can check that out maybe later today with my tachometer. Just a matter of reading the main shaft speed then the lower shaft if that would help.

Let me know.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:On the conventional head stock the lower shaft spins at 1.6 times the main spindle speed. So if you set the speed dial at say M then the jointer is running at 1.6 X that. If that is still true with the powerpro is then the question. I can check that out maybe later today with my tachometer. Just a matter of reading the main shaft speed then the lower shaft if that would help.

Let me know.

Ed
It would be helpful to know. However, it may mot be true if SS took care of the difference in the on board speed charts.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If you do that Ed, please also check the speed of the motor pulley.

Power Pro top speed 10,000 while motor top speed is 5500 (if it is the same as the Nova).

Drive shaft turning 1.83 times faster than top motor speed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mark 5/V facts:

The idler shaft rotates 1/6 x the rpm of the drive sleeve. At 5200, the idler shaft runs 8320. This also means the drive sleeve pulley is 1.6 x the size of the idler poly-v pulley.

The idler poly-v PULLEY is a fixed diameter that rotates on the idler shaft the same speed as the control sheave/idler sheave(idler pulley). Yes not easy to keep them separate since both are in fact idler pulleys.

So IF the drive sleeve is 1 3/4" then the idler poly-v pulley is close to 1".

PP facts:

The top speed is 10,000 rpm spindle shaft.

That makes the idler pulley rpm 16,000 rpm.

IF the top DVR motor speed is 5,000, then the motor pulley need be 2".CORRECTION 2 X 1.75 = 3.5"

P.S. I believe the PP idler shaft is the same as the 'current' M5/V shaft etc..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:
reible wrote:On the conventional head stock the lower shaft spins at 1.6 times the main spindle speed. So if you set the speed dial at say M then the jointer is running at 1.6 X that. If that is still true with the powerpro is then the question. I can check that out maybe later today with my tachometer. Just a matter of reading the main shaft speed then the lower shaft if that would help.

Let me know.

Ed
It would be helpful to know. However, it may mot be true if SS took care of the difference in the on board speed charts.
Logic tells me that 1.6 is no longer an applicable constant. If top motor speed is 5500 (not spec'd) and the top PowerPro speed is 10000 then the constant would be 1.83 (rather than 1.6).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:Mark 5/V facts:

The idler shaft rotates 1/6 x the rpm of the drive sleeve. At 5200, the idler shaft runs 8320. This also means the drive sleeve pulley is 1.6 x the size of the idler poly-v pulley.

The idler poly-v PULLEY is a fixed diameter that rotates on the idler shaft the same speed as the control sheave/idler sheave(idler pulley). Yes not easy to keep them separate since both are in fact idler pulleys.

So IF the drive sleeve is 1 3/4" then the idler poly-v pulley is close to 1".

PP facts:

The top speed is 10,000 rpm spindle shaft.

That makes the idler pulley rpm 16,000 rpm.

IF the top DVR motor speed is 5,000, then the motor pulley need be 2".

P.S. I believe the PP idler shaft is the same as the 'current' M5/V shaft etc..
Looking at the pictures we have seen (this is what piqued my curiosity) of the Power Pro upgrade kit, you can see clearly that the motor pulley is considerably larger than the upper pulley. I have a Drive Sleeve Assy. that measures 1.83" at the bottom of the poly-v grooves.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just got back in, no heat in there today so it was a little cool working. There is a lot of fluctuation on the meter as the powerpro is always fixing itself speed wise.

The little shiny tape they give you seems to have aged or just to cold to work so I cut some strips of white tape which did work.

The powerpro main shaft said it was running at 972 rpm, a bit lower then the 1000 I set it at?? Could be a lot of reasons for that.

The lower shaft says 1562. The math says 1.606995884773663 given the room for error that leaves the number at 1.6 for all intent and purposes.

After all that is pretty much what we expected.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]