Mark 2 Restoration

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Mark 2 Restoration

Post by everettdavis »

With regard to the base and wanting something more you might consider mounting it like a shop deputy to a work cabinet. Just search for shop deputy on the main site and you’ll see how you might proceed on something with your Mark 2.

Also in a previous post someone identified a Morse taper extension. I don’t think it is that. It looks more like a spiral buffing wheel mount where the fabric buffing wheel slides on and off and is pulled inward by the spiral. If it is that, there are two types right hand spiral and left hand spiral for which end of the headstock you attach it.

They are common on buffer motors with shafts at each end.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:With regard to the base and wanting something more you might consider mounting it like a shop deputy to a work cabinet. Just search for shop deputy on the main site and you’ll see how you might proceed on something with your Mark 2.

Also in a previous post someone identified a Morse taper extension. I don’t think it is that. It looks more like a spiral buffing wheel mount where the fabric buffing wheel slides on and off and is pulled inward by the spiral. If it is that, there are two types right hand spiral and left hand spiral for which end of the headstock you attach it.

They are common on buffer motors with shafts at each end.

Everett
This looks like a morse taper adapter (#2 to #1 ???).
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 10690 times

Now about the current state of the Mark 2 - looks great!!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I was looking at it on my cell phone. You are right. The slot is a give away. I thought it was the adjacent setscrews, but blown up you are correct it is a slot, and therefore a Morse Taper extension.

Everett
Tapered Buffing Wheel Spindles.png
Tapered Buffing Wheel Spindles.png (957.54 KiB) Viewed 10672 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

As a follow-up to private messages from folks who asked the purpose of the Morse Taper Extension, rather than replying to them individually, it would be more informative here in the forums.

A Morse Taper Extension allows more flexibility with the use of lathe drive centers, revolving centers, drill chucks etc.which fit a No.2 Morse Taper. This type of adapter extends the accessory about 3-1/2" from the headstock or tailstock, providing more manipulation of turning tools, and at the headstock or tailstock. This allows deeper access turning bowls and similar operations.

A live center or other #2 Morse Taper on Shopsmith tailstock can be moved away from the tailstock 3-1/2" providing that access, and the Morse Taper Drift Key inserted into the slot in the extension provides a simple way to separate the center from the extension when finished.

See attached.

Everett
Morse Taper Extension and Drift Key.jpg
Morse Taper Extension and Drift Key.jpg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 10642 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A warning here. If the center you insert doesn't go in far enough for the drift to touch then it will be tough removal. Typically that means that it doesn't work with shopsmith centers.

Here is an example of how it should be, first the over view then the close up showing the tang in the opening.
z2.jpg
z2.jpg (159.85 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
z3.jpg
z3.jpg (93.94 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
Now with the shopsmith live center and a close up of nothing showing up for the drift to touch.
z1.jpg
z1.jpg (161.59 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
z4.jpg
z4.jpg (101.68 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
Hope this helps.

Ed

everettdavis wrote:As a follow-up to private messages from folks who asked the purpose of the Morse Taper Extension, rather than replying to them individually, it would be more informative here in the forums.

A Morse Taper Extension allows more flexibility with the use of lathe drive centers, revolving centers, drill chucks etc.which fit a No.2 Morse Taper. This type of adapter extends the accessory about 3-1/2" from the headstock or tailstock, providing more manipulation of turning tools, and at the headstock or tailstock. This allows deeper access turning bowls and similar operations.

A live center or other #2 Morse Taper on Shopsmith tailstock can be moved away from the tailstock 3-1/2" providing that access, and the Morse Taper Drift Key inserted into the slot in the extension provides a simple way to separate the center from the extension when finished.

See attached.

Everett
Morse Taper Extension and Drift Key.jpg
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:A warning here. If the center you insert doesn't go in far enough for the drift to touch then it will be tough removal. Typically that means that it doesn't work with shopsmith centers.

. . .

Ed

For this dilemma, one keeps a few ball bearings that will slip into the tang wedge slot and thus effectively extend the tang into the slot area.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

That's a great tip, JPG
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:That's a great tip, JPG
Born of necessity! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Since my extension and live center came as a set I have not used the Shopsmith one that I recall even trying. Good information to know Thanks!

I will take that into consideration and if I need to, I will weld a ball bearing ball on the end of my SS Morse #2 dead center and drill chuck extensions.

We are so much more when we all contribute what our experiences teaches us collectively!

Everett
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Using the ball bearings is pure genius. Great tip.