Shaper Origin question

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Shaper Origin question

Post by masonsailor2 »

I finally bit the bullet and ordered an SO. Ed which CAD software are you using ? Do we have any other members using the SO ?
Paul
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Shaper Origin question

Post by reible »

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

I use sketchup mostly because I can get things done using it, but if you know some other software and it can produce the correct file type that would work too. Fusion 360 seems like a bit of a stretch for me to learn but that is the product of choice for a lot of the users. You will need a plugin to get the output.

I also have Affinity Designer but have not started to learn it yet.... I hope to do so this winter. I hate learning some of this new software but having a graphic package makes since for some projects. It carries a minimal cost rather then things like some of the adobe products.

We do have some other owners in the group, but you will want to join the shaper community due to the larger data base of users and knowledge.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Wanted to mention that my shaper just updated to Emeryville, 2.5.5.0 software. They have been updating software with improvements which is a good sign. Haven't made anything with it yet but there are always a few changes with the updates and so far all for the better at least for the way I use it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have been learning Fusion 360. It is free if you certify you are a hobbyist or a small business making under $100,000 a year. The free version is exactly the same as the 'commercial' version. It is a little tricky to find the right place to register as a hobbyist on the web site but it is there. You have to register every year. My license was set to expire at the end of the month so I just updated it for another year and the warning in the program went away.

Shaper requires .svg files which Fusion does not directly support. However, there is a Shaper plugin for Fusion to export a file created in Fusion in .svg format that Shaper can then use.

As Ed said, the Shaper software is actively being developed. There have been two updates in the last 3 or 4 months. The last one this week. Likewise Fusion has had 2 or 3 updates in the last year. The last one at the end of November.

EDIT: I ran Fusion just now and another update is available.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT