Dogwood bandsaw box. . .

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

swampgator
Platinum Member

Dogwood bandsaw box. . .

Post by swampgator »

Some one wanted to know how dogwood looked and worked. From this only experience it is a hardwood, but the sap wood is very porous. You could actually pour polyurethane straight onto the wood and for the first few minutes it would simply absorb out of sight. Since this tree was not large enough, I had to add some wood that I had on hand from other trees. One board is cedar which will help with keeping the bugs away from the felt lined drawers. The other small piece is a piece of pecan that before glue up I thought would have fitted in the wood. Well, you can decide. Just for newbies, this is going to be procedural. So here is what I started with. First 2 pictures are the lamination results.

Last picture is pattern transfer. This pattern is from the book of Lois Keener Ventura. The patterns are in the back which you can take to the print shop and and enlarge until the squares in the pattern are nearly one inch square. Then use those copies to put chalk on the back along the lines. Put the pattern over the wood and draw on the same lines transfering the chalk to the wood. Remove the pattern and trace again the chalk line pattern with a pencil or pen, whatever you can see. More to come.
Attachments
ss box a.jpg
ss box a.jpg (115.25 KiB) Viewed 25436 times
ss box b.jpg
ss box b.jpg (115.83 KiB) Viewed 25436 times
ss box c.jpg
ss box c.jpg (113.98 KiB) Viewed 25436 times
swampgator
Platinum Member

Re: Dogwood bandsaw box. . .

Post by swampgator »

First picture is retracing the pattern with a pencil and it can be faintly seen.

Second picture is a mistake. I was about to cut off the back but I had not cut out the outside of the pattern yet. But I did trim to square up the wood. It measures 6" X 6" X 12" long. Then it had to be sanded so that the face and back surfaces were relatively smooth. Perfectly square is not required, only relatively.
Attachments
ss box d.jpg
ss box d.jpg (90.3 KiB) Viewed 25434 times
ss box f.jpg
ss box f.jpg (85.35 KiB) Viewed 25434 times
Changed out bandsaws from 1/2" blace to 1/8".  About to get serious.
Changed out bandsaws from 1/2" blace to 1/8". About to get serious.
ss box g.jpg (80.83 KiB) Viewed 25434 times
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

First picture is cutting off excess at top of box and making the general shape. It's a real squeeze.

Second picture is side view of cut out shape. Sorry for the shakiness of my hands. This caused many problems not being able to control the cuts.

Third picture is collected sawdust to help fill in some cracks to minimize the visual appearance of glue holidays. A mixture of the sawdust with the glue makes it harder to see, especially if you sand it smoothly.
Attachments
almost minimal clearance
almost minimal clearance
ss box h.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 25432 times
shaky hands make blurry pictures
shaky hands make blurry pictures
ss box i.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 25432 times
ss box j.jpg
ss box j.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 25432 times
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

And now we turn to making the drawers.

Just a comment from experience, the straighter you cut the front and back off the drawer chunks, the easier it will be to line them with felt. If you do flocking, it is insignificant.
Attachments
Cutting out the drawers with back of the box removed.
Cutting out the drawers with back of the box removed.
ss box k.jpg (78.34 KiB) Viewed 25430 times
Preparing to cut front and back off the drawers.
Preparing to cut front and back off the drawers.
ss box l.jpg (71.69 KiB) Viewed 25430 times
Back and front cut off the drawers.
Back and front cut off the drawers.
ss box m.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 25430 times
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

To hold the pieces together and ensure that the small pieces remain in the correct drawer, I like to use tape to keep them together. That way when I start gluing, they will all match up correctly and look and work right.
Attachments
Hollowing out the drawer.
Hollowing out the drawer.
ss box n.jpg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 25429 times
demo of how they will look glued back together.
demo of how they will look glued back together.
ss box o.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 25429 times
Fits back into the case.
Fits back into the case.
ss box q.jpg (74.43 KiB) Viewed 25429 times
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

May I apologize for the lengthy delay in finding the remainder of the pictures. While eating supper of turnip greens, mashed potatoes and southern cornbread, I downloaded again from email, resized and renamed them in Ifran. I'll try to continue where I left off. The first picture is of the final sanding. All has been glued back together.
Second picture is after cutting all the pulls out of the inner block of wood from one of the drawers. Last picture is that the old Shopsmith has been cleaned up to put away until the next project.
Attachments
sanded box
sanded box
dogwood SS A.jpg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 25328 times
pulls cut on bandsaw
pulls cut on bandsaw
dogwood SS B.jpg (135.36 KiB) Viewed 25328 times
Shopsmith cleaned up for next project
Shopsmith cleaned up for next project
dogwood SS C.jpg (117.38 KiB) Viewed 25328 times
Last edited by swampgator on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I love seeing a project from beginning to end. The process makes much more sense now that I have reviewed your photos. Thanks for posting and keep us updated. It is looking great.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’m looking forward to seeing how the dogwood looks when finished. I have a very old dogwood tree in my woods that is slowly dying back ... it will be project wood in a more few years.
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Nice!
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Thank you, WileyCoyote. I did this only for those who have not seen the process before to show that all of you can do this if you wish. Yes, it is time and labor consuming, but just take one step at a time.

Dennis, please go get that tree. Use that chain saw to rip out the pith and allow it to dry for some time. I used Anchor Seal on this and allowed it 2 years to dry. Then I tried my best to get it down to the size I could get it on the bandsaw to make the pieces into something that I could process on the joiner. I hope to see your dogwood posted here in the near future.

Thank you, Lodgepole for the compliment.

Steve