Miter Gauge Glides

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Miter Gauge Glides

Post by Thomschuck »

Hello ShopSmith People!
I am the new guy with tons of questions. I have a 1983 Mark V
ISSUE...
The glides on my miter gauge are shot. I looked down in the slot and could see the head for a flat blade. Of course it was locked in place. After sometime with penatrating oil I stripped the heads out. I ordered new glides from SS. Do new glides get installed from the top, or are they inserted from the bottom? I did manage to get both of the glides extended a bit. That will help with the dragging I feel when pushing. Thanks for any help. I have lots of other problems that I am addressing one issue at a time. I love this machine.
Thank You,
Thom Schuck ( The New Guy”
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Miter Gauge Glides

Post by JPG »

Looking at the glides from the bottom, what is their od?

If greater than a half inch, they screw out from the bottom.(there should be a slot). If more like 1/4" or less they are nylon and the slot is accessed from the top through tapped holes. Either one is removed out the bottom.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There are two different Miter Glides as shown below
Miter Glides.jpg
Miter Glides.jpg (297.08 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
The one on the left is the newer style and looks like a bolt. The one on the right is the older style and looks like a set screw. Both are nylon and go in the bottom hole that also holds the set screw for the Miter gauge stop rod that goes in from the top. If yours is the older style it can be replaced by a 5/16" nylon set screw sometimes available at local hardware stores. I have not looked for the 5/16" bolt glide locally.

Yes, I know there is a cut in the miter. :eek:
Yes, I know how it happens. :confused:
No, I am not the one who did it. I have avoided that mistake, not to say I have not made any. :o
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Something I forgot to mention was the set screw type glides on the right are replacements I bought locally. The original ones were white. I do not know if replacements from Shopsmith are still white.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.