Overarm Router On Rockler Router table/stand

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chrisfromthelc
Bronze Member

Overarm Router On Rockler Router table/stand

Post by chrisfromthelc »

I purchased a well-used overarm router setup a couple of weeks ago on Craigslist. It had the stand, the table, the overarm, and a few other bits, but for the most part, the stand and table were a bit trashed.

I fiddled with the stand off and on for a few evenings in a row, but could never make it stable enough. The casters were also worn, so trying to roll it would end up with the legs scraping the garage floor in spots, even though they were set to be a high as possible. The table itself wasn't much better...the formica was blistering/bulging in spots, and most of threaded inserts had cracking around them. The plate was missing the pin insert as well.

Rather than spend who knows how much trying to rebuild them, I opted to go a different route. I purchased the basic Rockler router table system locally (the laminate table with plain phenolic insert. I knew it would take some fiddling to get the overarm to work with the stand, but at least the Rockler stand is solid right out of the box.

Surprisingly, it was much easier than I anticipated. Two of the four mounting holes on the overarm u shaped based perfectly lined up with existing holes on the front rail of the base. I bolted it up to those, and flipped the stand over, and drilled two more holes out on the router base to match two on the rear rail.

I then transferred the track rails on the bottom of the old router table to the new table, giving me the ability to slide the top forward and back a bit (obviously the table router will dictate how far).

I also used BuckeyeDennis's ideas of the stop collar and level clamps for the arm mount. This allowed me to set a height that would work for the overarm, and then swing it out of the way when using the table router.

As for pin alignment, I bought a couple of blank inserts for the router plate. I'll use those for the pins. The routers are ever so slightly misaligned front-to-back, but the table can't move closer to the overarm without modification. I may still do that down the road, but the custom inserts should work fine for now.

I already had a nice mobile base, but the Rockler casters would work just as well if you wanted it portable. I've still got some things to do (router switches/speed control, enclosing the cabinet for dust collection, etc), but it's usable now.

I just thought I'd jot down the details in case anyone else is in the same situation. I originally planned to build a custom base and table, but I'd rather spend my time building the fun stuff instead of shop furniture for now. :D
Attachments
IMG_20181202_173834589.jpg
IMG_20181202_173834589.jpg (144.37 KiB) Viewed 20269 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Overarm Router On Rockler Router table/stand

Post by JPG »

Looks good to me. Nice Job!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nice adaption! It looks like it belonged there all along. :cool:

Regarding the router alignment, how much extra adjustment do you need? Instead of moving the table back farther, you might be able to move the overarm router motor forward a bit. If memory serves, the motor mount on the arm side is basically just a v-block, so a couple of shims there might do the trick.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

That does look good!

Are you planning to add some inserts in the table insert to put pins in? So long as the pin and bit are aligned it will work independent of the other router. If on the other hand you plan to use the opposite router to hold the pin then it is critical they align. Alignment can be tricky, the arm moves in an arc and the table back and forth with a little slop so finding the "right" spot can be a fun time.

Is the table hitting the back of the router arm?

Are you planning on adding the threaded inserts to the new table? Did you get the two part fence that came with the old system?

If you have the regular shopsmith stand it is a bit flimsy even when new. You can fix that but since you have already gone another route keep in mind there might be a few people here who will take the old one off your hands, like wise the casters assembly. Those can be rare parts.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chrisfromthelc
Bronze Member

Post by chrisfromthelc »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Regarding the router alignment, how much extra adjustment do you need? Instead of moving the table back farther, you might be able to move the overarm router motor forward a bit. If memory serves, the motor mount on the arm side is basically just a v-block, so a couple of shims there might do the trick.
It's more than that, probably 3/8".
reible wrote:Are you planning to add some inserts in the table insert to put pins in? So long as the pin and bit are aligned it will work independent of the other router.
I have already taken a blank insert (the round part in the plate) and drilled it to hold a pin in the correct spot below the overarm router so I don't need to modify the table. The back edge is basically touching the post mount. I don't really want to modify the table if needed.
reible wrote: Is the table hitting the back of the router arm?

Are you planning on adding the threaded inserts to the new table? Did you get the two part fence that came with the old system?
Yeah, I have it backed off a hair to keep it from rubbing, but it won't slide back far enough to match the routers without taking a bit out in that area, maybe a half circle area of about a 2" radius. But, I think with the custom plate inserts, I won't need to.

I don't plan on putting the threaded inserts in this table. I don't really see any use for them in my application.
reible wrote: You can fix that but since you have already gone another route keep in mind there might be a few people here who will take the old one off your hands, like wise the casters assembly. Those can be rare parts.
I do still have the fence, although it's pretty rough. The casters were especially rough, basically half the reason I went this route. One of the wheels had a flat spot on them, and they won't lift the stand up enough to roll correctly. The stand is warped from how flimsy it was. If anyone is in the Phoenix, AZ area, you're welcome to come take it away, but I don't want to bother with disassembling/shipping it.
DSS
Silver Member

Post by DSS »

Hi Chris,
Nice adaptation of Rockler table and SS OPR. I sent a PM on the casters and table. Let me know if you get it.
Thanks,
Dan
You can also reach me at schindler87@gmail.com
tablesawtom
Bronze Member

Post by tablesawtom »

I am looking for one, Any help would be welcome

Tom