Today in the shop (shopsmith MFT V2)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop (shopsmith MFT V2)

Post by reible »

Got some SO time this afternoon and did the holes for the table. Not sure when I will get back to it and get the other parts built but at least this much is done.
IMG_2237.jpg
IMG_2237.jpg (448.9 KiB) Viewed 25316 times
Now it's already to have the rest built.
IMG_2240-1.jpg
IMG_2240-1.jpg (350.78 KiB) Viewed 25316 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop (shopsmith MFT V2)

Post by Ed in Tampa »

You building a Dave Stanton Bench or modeling one after Peter Parf? Or perhaps one of Ron Paul’s work benches.
How long did it take?
Do you watch Dave Stanton you tube channel? If not you would probably enjoy it. Also check out Ron Paul’s if you have't already.

There is such a wealth of woodworking videos out there. I watch Youtubefar more than TV.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

See this post for a sketch of how this will mount on the shopsmith:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 14#p254014

This is also the table seen in the MDF/Danish Oil post.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ed in Tampa wrote:You building a Dave Stanton Bench or modeling one after Peter Parf? Or perhaps one of Ron Paul’s work benches.
How long did it take?
Do you watch Dave Stanton you tube channel? If not you would probably enjoy it. Also check out Ron Paul’s if you have't already.

There is such a wealth of woodworking videos out there. I watch Youtubefar more than TV.
One sure could make the variation of tops that have sprung up since the MFT system became well known. The MFT/3 top has a 7 x 11 hole arrangement while the one I just made is a 5 x 11 with some extra holes.

The actual cutting goes pretty fast. Once the file is placed you just go from hole to hole and hit the green button, it helix cuts it and comes back up, then move to the next hole. I didn't time it and I was multitasking so while most of it was done this afternoon so was a few other things.

Yes I have a few people I follow on youtube. And of the ones I follow there are maybe 5 or 6 that I watch the most. One sure could spend a lot of time but I have a lot of projects and other interests so I have to limit my watching and save that for down time.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've pretty much worn this joke out with the family but I can still use it here.... When ask what I got for Christmas I've been answering "A cold" But the cold decided to work with some other germs and now I'm on antibiotics and I actually felt good enough to get some shop time today.

I now have the top put together and ready to clip on. Felt to tired to do that and it was getting late so I'll save that for another day. I just hope I didn't mess something up.

This was an interesting year, for the first time in a very long time I didn't get any shinny new tools this year????? Don't feel too bad for me as I have a new camera arriving on Friday so things are not all that bad.

Ed
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Looking forward to seeing this on your SS. This has given me some ideas for my already planned router table setup. Make it long like this, include at least some dog holes for EZ track saw alignment, maybe also some T-track, a drop in piece to cover the router plate hole...
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Those MFT tables are fascinating and look, at least to me, to be really useful. I'd make one if I wasn't too cheap to purchase the Parf Guide System. Looking forward to following this thread. And I hope your better soon.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

The Parf guidesystem is for Pro,s it would be cheaper to buy a ready made top that has been drilled by precision CNC.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have Peter's first version of the jig. The second version looks to be lot better but I will not invest in that. It is a slow process and while it gets the job done well you really need to be making several tops to make it cost effective.

If you have a MFT/3 it is indeed a good idea to just invest in a new top since the material is better then the MDF you get at the box stores. What may not be obvious is that top can possibly be rotated and certainly be turned over to extend the life. If and when I get to the point of needing a new one I will more then likely order one rather then make my own unless I find a source for the material.

Now I have the woodpecker jig, the SO and a set of dogs I had made up which uses the old MFT for hole locations. All of these work well with smaller tops and the SO so far seems to be accurate enough for a base which can use the holes for location and square cutting.

There are drawings and even cnc files out there that would allow you to go to a shop and have your own made up but I have no idea how much that would cost you. I've read that a "one of" might be more expensive so people will have at least a pair made to reduce the cost of each. But if you go custom sixe or shape then you may have to go another path.

Ed
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Ed's idea to purchase a CNC'd one really made sense. But I haven't found a source for one with 3/4 holes, they all seem to be the 20mm. I'd like to raise mine the way Stanton does. Has anyone seen one??? thx