Digital angle gauge

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Digital angle gauge

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I know from time to time there has been many discussions about digital angle gauges.
I also know many of you have a favorite for various reasons.

I was wondering what you all thought of this one That Lowe’s is now selling.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johnson-Level- ... ifts111518

Please let me know what you think
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Digital angle gauge

Post by jsburger »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I know from time to time there has been many discussions about digital angle gauges.

I doubt there is much difference in any of them. They are all made in China. Depending on the company (Wixey, iGuaging, etc.) the company has different standards. If the sensor does meet their standards presumably they reject it. What happens to the rejected parts. They end up in someone else's product.

Is that Lowe's? I have no idea and nobody else knows either.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I bought the Wixey. They all look similar and do the same thing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6YZ0K6/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I know from time to time there has been many discussions about digital angle gauges.

I can't do that Ed. I don't have one of those to evaluate. I can tell you though that I like the ones I have less now than I used to. Each one of mine (I have 2 iGage and a Wixey) performs less reliably than they used to. My opinions are based on a comparative performance analysis of those three.

I will always have one in my shop but will depend on it only with skepticism.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I use the cell phone. It's ok and handier than my Wixey. But, as Ronnie said, " Trust but, verify."
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

As I recall I spent about $40 for mine but that was years ago. So price wise this looks like it is a little less expensive but I have not priced others versions.

What I do like it that it takes a standard battery, one that I would likely have around at home anyway. I dislike ones that have a special battery like a button cell which means I have to stock an extra for possibly just that tool.

The reviews make it look good but again we have no idea who the reviewers are so it still could be the worst one on the market and still get great reviews or again it could really be that good.

If I needed one and I don't I'd get this one as the price isn't bad. If you don't have one then I have to say they do have their uses but I don't depend on them for being as accurate as they claim. But even at that reduced dependence it is hard to find a tool that cheap that is even close to what these can do.

So head on out and get one and then write a review here. We are all waiting. Go on now, get it done before the thread fades away and well all forget about it......

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

Rockler has the Wixey version on sale for $20 now.

Ken
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

kenbu wrote:Rockler has the Wixey version on sale for $20 now.

Ken
Now?

Just checked online and it is listed at $29.99

https://www.rockler.com/wixey-digital-a ... -backlight

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote:As I recall I spent about $40 for mine but that was years ago. So price wise this looks like it is a little less expensive but I have not priced others versions.

What I do like it that it takes a standard battery, one that I would likely have around at home anyway. I dislike ones that have a special battery like a button cell which means I have to stock an extra for possibly just that tool.

The reviews make it look good but again we have no idea who the reviewers are so it still could be the worst one on the market and still get great reviews or again it could really be that good.

If I needed one and I don't I'd get this one as the price isn't bad. If you don't have one then I have to say they do have their uses but I don't depend on them for being as accurate as they claim. But even at that reduced dependence it is hard to find a tool that cheap that is even close to what these can do.

So head on out and get one and then write a review here. We are all waiting. Go on now, get it done before the thread fades away and well all forget about it......

Ed
The button cells are not that expensive anymore, you can get them at the dollar store and there are only a couple of sizes that are used in the instruments that I have.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
artman60
Gold Member

Post by artman60 »

reible wrote:
kenbu wrote:Rockler has the Wixey version on sale for $20 now.

Ken
Now?

Just checked online and it is listed at $29.99

https://www.rockler.com/wixey-digital-a ... -backlight

Ed
The sale doesn’t start until Nov 23. I have the circular in front of me. :)
The clock of life is wound but once.