1st SS! Neused MkV Video - Bearings, belt, lube, all 3?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

faultedgeologist
Silver Member

Re: 1st SS! Neused MkV Video - Bearings, belt, lube, all 3?

Post by faultedgeologist »

faultedgeologist wrote:EDIT: And still trying to reconcile the mothership with the bolt hole for the modern eccentric safety washer, with all old and broken parts inside it. Am I on the right track?
JPG wrote:In order to answer that I need details of what that is. If you are getting a new idler shaft/bearings, the new eccentric is necessary as is the added screw.
Two things here:

1: Does this seem like a frankencrap assemblage of different era parts, and thus not following the PO story? This is seriously bugging me.

NEWer than 1985
case with [broken] bolt hole for modern eccentric retainer washer and spackle textured gray paint - post 1985 per my research
tablesaw pieces - could be aftermarket

OLDer than 1985
serial number 1981 on eccentric shaft cover plate
eccentric with locknut
idler shaft with wide single bearing
single bearing quill drill

Edits galore.

2: I'm just weighing the options now: found a whole used Idler assembly (spindle and bearings, sheaves, key, etc.) available on eBay with the new split eccentric for $65 from a modern MkV I guess. Looking at that and a new set of motor sheaves from SS would put me really close to ready with the belts. You were saying the motor sheaves could be reused with a new straight 1/8" key, so I am pondering a simple belt rebuild instead in order to find my love for the equipment before digging in. From what I understand, a modern 2-bearing idler must have modern sheaves, but there is no mention of a difference in the motor sheaves. .

Okay, 3: Judging that I will primarily use this for the jointer, it sounds like I should keep this simple for now. I was just sketched out by the broken motor spindle key area.

Thx. Moving forward this weekend. I got the idler bearing out, so I could keep this cost low. I'm all over this fence.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Only the idler shaft, bearings, spacer and eccentric are different. Control sheave, idler sheave, key etc. are the same for both versions.

I am disturbed by your mentioning idler shaft lockNUT. Are you referring to the eccentric retaining screw(the broken off one)? That broken off screw was pre 1960 and is still there in today's version. The new eccentric adds a bearing retaining screw to the eccentric.

I detect nothing in your description of varying vintage parts. I think some of your 'research' is flawed. The 'older' water pump bearing(wide single bearing) was from day one up to very recently. The double bearing idler shaft and eccentric have only been around a very short time(not sure, but < 10 years?).

The single bearing quill would be correct for a 1981 version. IF your tables are 510(either version) than they are an upgrade regardless of source(SS/used). A pix of the vent plate would nail down it's vintage(assuming it IS original!). I guess it started life as a Mark 5, not a Mark V 510).

Spackle textured paint indicates a SS Inc. lineage. Consistent with 1981 SN.

Not sure which side of the fence you landed on, but I think keeping $ low until you get acquainted with operating the SS is a good option. It is different!(good) Assuming the 65$ idler stuff is 'good'(and you get it for $65) that is likely the best choice(ya still gotta get that eccentric retaining screw fixed).

The headstock casting does not vary with the type of idler shaft/eccentric etc..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

P.S. E-Bay item 232981563121 is NOT new style idler shaft etc. but looks good.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange