Horizontal Routing

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mmcdonough
Gold Member

Horizontal Routing

Post by mmcdonough »

Has anyone created a jig or done horizontal routing on the Shopsmith?

Thanks
Mike
sehast
Gold Member

Re: Horizontal Routing

Post by sehast »

Yes. I built this table/jig last year.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gener ... ml#p241218
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I did some horizontal routing for a number of years. I was never happy with the results due to the lack of RPMs of the Shopsmith. Routing at only 5000 rpms makes the job more difficult than it needs to be. The newer Mark 7 would work better than the older Mark 5.
In later years, I picked up a 2.5hp stand alone router and mounted it on a table. This one runs at 23,000rpms and makes routing much easier and does a better job.
You can do routing on the Shopsmith, but it isn't ideal.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

It only gets you to 10,000 RPM but I have always wondered how the speed increaser might improve that.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... reaser.htm

I have never had access to one to try.

Everett
mmcdonough
Gold Member

Post by mmcdonough »

Thank you for the Pic's they have given some ideas how to try it out.

Mike
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Speed Increaser doubles the speed but I would wonder if it could handle 20,000 RPM output. I still have my Speed Increaser but I am reluctant to try. I guess slowly increasing the speed to test it out would be the best way to try.

This setup would also allow for under-table horizontal routing.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I have used both the speed increaser and the PowerPro. The PowerPro is by far superior. Both go to 10,000 RPM but only the PowerPro does it with adequate power to turn large diameter bits. I have found that the PowerPro does a fair job using bits 3/8" and up. For bits over 1 inch in diameter I think it is as good or better than a standard router because it has more power and 10,000 RPM is fast enough to get a pretty good cut. I have a 1 1/2 inch flush trim bit, a 2 inch planer bit and a 2 inch rabbiting bit all from Infinity that perform great.

https://www.infinitytools.com/mega-flus ... outer-bits
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

chapmanruss wrote:The Speed Increaser doubles the speed but I would wonder if it could handle 20,000 RPM output. I still have my Speed Increaser but I am reluctant to try. I guess slowly increasing the speed to test it out would be the best way to try.

This setup would also allow for under-table horizontal routing.
The speed increaser is limited to 10K rpm. While it might work at some point above that you may also expect it to fail a lot sooner. Going to 20K rpm will most certainly kill it quickly.

Keep in mind smaller bits can run upwards of 30K rpm larger bits will require much slower rpm. How ever slow on routers can still be in the 12K range, still faster then the shopsmith.

I don't do too much with the shopsmith as a router, in my opinion get a real router for most projects and you will be glad you did. While you can use the shopsmith as a router you have to work a lot slower to make up for the lack of rpm.

I feel powerpro would have been better off with a slower bottom end and slower top end. Maybe 100 rpm to 8K rpm but that is not what they decided to do.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]