Today in the shop (Shark Guard testing)

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

claimdude
Gold Member

Re: Today in the shop (Shark Guard testing)

Post by claimdude »

Dusty,
That was funny!
Jack
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Much better! But I wonder if I could get those results with my DC3300.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

jsburger wrote:You have just proven that a shop vac is not a dust collector. It is CFM CFM CFM not suction. The more CFM you have the better the dust collection will be and a lot of the "inadequacies" seen in the SS lower guard with a shop vac disappear.

I understand that a lot of us don't have the room or the finances for a proper dust collector so we make do. Given those consequences we have to live with it.

Thank you for vindicating the Shark Guard!
Keep in mind the in today's test lower guard collection was no better then before, a leaking mess. (But I know how to improve that.) Now perhaps you see added improvement do to your bigger and better dust collector. That we will just have to take your word for.

Also the best dust collection I have is with my festool set up and for the lack of cfm it works the best of all. Time to own up to facts, cfm alone might help but it is not just that that matters. I want to give it a chance sometime but right now it is no co-located with the shopsmith.

And also note that for me the shark guard is not really vindicated because it still doesn't work with a shop vac which is how I'd like to use it. And I can only recommend it if you have a large dust collector. I still would not recommend it if you plan to use a shop vac.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dusty wrote:I'm impressed. If my table top dust collection was that good, I'd be happier than a pig in the wallow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJznoO3SIg

Since my under the table collection is quit good, I just might have to give serious consideration to a Shark Guard.
Do heed the warning that you will need a nice dust collector as well to make it work. I would have my doubts about the older shopsmith dust collector....

I believe the cfm is like 330 and the shop vac I have is like 370 and as you saw it didn't do much in the way of collecting. Now it is also possible that the rating on mine is inflated and shopsmith under rated so we need someone to hook up the shopsmith collector to a shark guard and see what the results are.

Is that going to be you?

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Ed todays's results are very similar to what I get using my Shopsmith DC 3000.

When you posted your first set of pictures I was really surprised that your results were so terrible. As mine were always fantastic, but I never used a shop vac only the dust collector.

My beneath machine dust collection is pretty good if I close the lower saw guard close to the blade. However I believe it will be improved when I incorporate some Saw Stashe from fast cap to seal some leaks.
https://www.fastcap.com/product/saw-stache

Saw Stacie is brush bristles set in rubber. I think they will seal all areas that leak now. We will see

In any cases glad to see the dust collector produce results similar to mine. I was perplexed why there was such a difference.
BlueViffer
Gold Member

Post by BlueViffer »

I was searching and found these you tube videos and followed them to the forum, I am wondering how the saw stache worked out? I also found another video and found it interesting as his approach to solving the amount of sawdust off the blade. I was thinking a combination of his approach and of some of the other approach might work well for sawing with the guard in place and when not tilting the table. Here is the link to his video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVBWPOr09M

Vince
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've posted a few videos on dust collection, and showed a few minor things that can be done to catch more of it. Dusty and a few others have also posted things that they have done. I believe most if not all of that information has related to the 510/520 table system.

I have seen the dust collection video you posted and noted that he has a 500 and it would appear he doesn't have the lower guard/dust collector designed for the system. It would have been interesting to see how well that did with the same cut.

The tube idea I've seen used on bandsaws and it works quite well, but of course a table saw is a bit different. One thing I didn't like about the one in the video deals with the table tilt. The tube mounts to the zci so you would need another option for those sorts of cuts. Most of the time I do not do a lot of cutting like that but still would like the option to also collect dust........ Like wise for dado blades or other cutters like molding heads, I guess you could make a set of the tubes but I don't know that is practical.

I'm working on yet another test to see how a few other things might work, I did buy the stache but have yet to be inspired on a way of using it. I don't know if anyone else has even gotten that far but I feel like I'm stuck at this point with that idea.

Ed
BlueViffer
Gold Member

Post by BlueViffer »

Ed,
Instead of using a hole tube with the saw blade cut into it I was thinking that using a half round tube that might be only about 2" down from the zci with the 510 saw guards in place might be easier to do than the folded paper/ cutting board material. Also you could make one up for 45 degree angle tilts.
That and then the Shark Guard or something like it and you should have very good dust collection.

Vince
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There are several "leaks" so I don't see any reason to not try what you are suggesting to see if that cures that area.

I have a similar idea but made from wood and it also extends back farther but it remains untested. Winter is just ending and now it gardening season so not sure when I will to the point of trying the new insert.

Please feel free to try somethings on your own and post the results. So far there have been improvements but no perfect solutions.

Ed