Need new hand planer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Need new hand planer

Post by reible »

When I had to get one I went with the Porter Cable PC60THP. It was about half the price or less then the other major brands. It has done fine for me but I don't use it all that much since I have other tools that also do that job that are standalone.

Dust collection works well and can be attached to either side. It has carbide blades included and so far they have held up. I don't really see much of a reason to need a lot of power as you are limited in width and depth of cut and I have never had reason to think mine was under powered.

If this were a tool that I used every day I might want to look at a more expensive tool but since it was not I went with the lower price.

This use to come in two models, one included a case the other not. I have not looked to see if this is still the situation. If that is important to you then see if that can still be purchased.

I have no idea if you can buy this tool where you are???

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Grong
Bronze Member

Post by Grong »

reible wrote:When I had to get one I went with the Porter Cable PC60THP. It was about half the price or less then the other major brands. It has done fine for me but I don't use it all that much since I have other tools that also do that job that are standalone.

Dust collection works well and can be attached to either side. It has carbide blades included and so far they have held up. I don't really see much of a reason to need a lot of power as you are limited in width and depth of cut and I have never had reason to think mine was under powered.

If this were a tool that I used every day I might want to look at a more expensive tool but since it was not I went with the lower price.

This use to come in two models, one included a case the other not. I have not looked to see if this is still the situation. If that is important to you then see if that can still be purchased.

I have no idea if you can buy this tool where you are???

Ed
Thank you for the answer! I'll be back in Australia soon to study, will there be an opportunity to buy this hand planer? On Amazon it is now not available :(
In general, this tool probably will even be better than Bosh if it costs less (Bosh costs about 150 US dollars).
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I purchased mine a Lowe's store that is just up the road from me. I did check Amazon since you mentioned it and they have the same model I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PSPUWV4/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Ed
Grong
Bronze Member

Post by Grong »

reible wrote:I purchased mine a Lowe's store that is just up the road from me. I did check Amazon since you mentioned it and they have the same model I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PSPUWV4/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Ed
Looks good...Tell me please, do you have something problems with this planer?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I personally have had no issues but like I mentioned this is not a tool I use all that often. I have a lot of tools to get a job done so I like to spread the tasks around unless one tool is the best for the job and then that would be the one I go with.

Also as I mentioned if I planned on using this tool a lot I might want to spend the extra money for one of the other name brand tools. It really depends on how much you plan to use it, as a hobbies then this is more then likely the best choice, if you were a professional then maybe not.

Ed
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

the type of lumber you are planing on using may make a difference in life of the planer and the blades as much as how often you will be using it . just some thing to think about .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)