Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Post by everettdavis »

Some of the early drawings for Greenies left me scratching my head, along with some of the early nomenclature....

Thank God we don't call the internet "The Worldwide Interdigitary"

I presume they used that word to help envision a web of the interface of the Motor / Fan Sheave Assembly. If it walks like a duck.... oh well I thought some of you would enjoy it.

Everett
Greenie (Gilmer) Headstock Early Drawing - reduced size for forum.jpg
Greenie (Gilmer) Headstock Early Drawing - reduced size for forum.jpg (621.15 KiB) Viewed 30861 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That shows the belt and sheaves to be in high speed position. The motor pulley is indeed closed and the idler pulley is open.

Why the "?"?

It also shows a non-clutched drive sleeve.

P.S. It is now a spring loaded "floating" sheave (with interlocking fingers). :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The drive sleeve shown is also a lot longer, (extends into the back of the quill).

Oh, and the Power Take-offs made me chuckle. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:That shows the belt and sheaves to be in high speed position. The motor pulley is indeed closed and the idler pulley is open.

Why the "?"?

P.S. It is now a spring loaded "floating" sheave (with interlocking fingers). :D
The ?

Look at the drive belt and how the sheaves are drawn, then envision it opening up and tracking the gap as they open.

It just looks off to me. Optics I guess.

Bill Mayo said there was a non-clutched drive sleeve.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:
JPG wrote:That shows the belt and sheaves to be in high speed position. The motor pulley is indeed closed and the idler pulley is open.

Why the "?"?

The ?

Look at the drive belt and how the sheaves are drawn, then envision it opening up and tracking the gap as they open.

It just looks off to me. Optics I guess.

Bill Mayo said there was a non-clutched drive sleeve.

Everett
I envision the sheave(s) as if it were sliced which is the purpose of a 'cut away' view. Requires some perspective(x-ray mind :cool: ). Realize the cross sectional shape varies around the axis (those pesky digits and the interstitial space between them). The motor pulley is shown with the it fully closed and the interdigitary meshing complete(low area accepting high area) whereas the idler pulley is shown open with the cross section NOT *** aligned with the high/low areas of the sheaves.

*** NOPE!!!! The idler puller IS drawn with the cross section coincident with the center of the fingers etc.. I took another look after making misstatement above.

P.S. Note it shows a Franklin motor.

P.P.S. Note the proximity of the bearing retaining clip to the Gilmer belt!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I mentioned that Bill Mayo had seen some of the earliest Greenies that did not have the gilmer/clutch assembly, rather direct drive.

One of his posts discusses that. http://woodworking-unlimited.com/ss_for ... 27#p110806

This additional drawing that came from 1954 Hans cache of documents and clippings illustrated this in October 1954. Had they had the Clutch Drive Assembly in production, one would have presumed they would have illustrated that in the Oct 1954 article as they could have touted the new feature and protections it offered.

Everett
Solid Drive Sleeve Hub - Early Greenies published Oct 1954 - reduced size for forum.jpg
Solid Drive Sleeve Hub - Early Greenies published Oct 1954 - reduced size for forum.jpg (367.41 KiB) Viewed 30702 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There's that word again! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

smokeshow
Gold Member

Post by smokeshow »

This information is almost invaluable!
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I just uploaded a file I had meant to upload for months.

It is a cross sectional drawing of the speed control mechanism.

So Happy Father's Day folks.

File is under My Google Drive in "Drawings - Mark V & Mark 7" folder, which I suspect will get renamed to "Drawings - Mark 5 / V & Mark 7" at some point in the future as I begin documenting the original Mark 5 as more viable source materials are located for the Mark 5.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Update 6/22/2018 - Magna 4E Owner's Guide from Hans files

In Hans Goldschmidt folder under My Google Drive

Everett