Joint-Matic

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stew
Gold Member

Joint-Matic

Post by stew »

Need some help here- I have a line on a SS Joint-Matic Horizontal Router that is in great shape, not sure it has ever been used. I can get this for $175. Is that a good price? Those who have one do you use it much or can you share unique things this unit can do. It does not come with a router. Thanks for any advice.
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Re: Joint-Matic

Post by BobCoates1953 »

A discussion is on this link
http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/300

plus other options. Review seems to think it is good.

I have no personal knowledge or information about it. Just did a google to see what it was.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

stew wrote:Need some help here- I have a line on a SS Joint-Matic Horizontal Router that is in great shape, not sure it has ever been used. I can get this for $175. Is that a good price? Those who have one do you use it much or can you share unique things this unit can do. It does not come with a router. Thanks for any advice.
They are fairly rare and I would buy it at that price particularly if it is almost unused. They did not come with a router. That is an advantage as you can get the router YOU want.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
procrastinator
Gold Member

Post by procrastinator »

I also have a Joint-Matic that was barely if ever used. I have all the original accessories available for it, some in their original boxes, plus a few extra parts. If anyone is interested in one, at the noted Lumberjocks price, please contact me.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There are two versions of these. The first one was purchased from another company and had a chain drive. Shopsmith "improved" the design and developed the plastic slide which turned out to be mistake in my opinion. Under certain circumstances that decision showed up with the slide cracking right near the top of the threaded area.

Mine came with the area repaired and it has not shown any indication of additional damage since I have had it. It could also be that I don't do the climb cuts that I think cause the problem. So perhaps the issue will not show up or be problem depending on how you use the machine.

There are several optional accessories that one could get but the most difficult to find is the bevel miter gauge. It took me a long while to find one so I made a wooden version to use in the mean time. While your interest might be for other cuts/joints the bevel gauge allows some interesting joints that you just don't see often.

The one thing you will NEED is the manual. While you might be able to use it without the adjustments and special tasks would be pretty hard to guess at. If you can't get a manual then I'd say pass on the purchase it is that critical.

Some of the pictures at the above link are of my unit. If you do a search here there will be a few links to posts I have done. I don't have a stand for mine and don't need one as I mount it on the shopsmith, that is also shown.

The price is decent, they were going for a lot more when I got mine. I have seen some cheaper lately but with out knowing what attachments come with it and the condition of the slider it is pretty hard to price. I picked up an extra slider from shopsmith when they were do a clean out and I don't know if they have any left so it could be an issue in the future.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

The manual (845264 Jointmatic ... $11.99) is available for purchase from SS.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Just be advised there are other options to get a similar capability.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsit ... tab_anchor
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

Thanks everyone- I pick it up on Saturday morning and based on Reible's recommendation I checked back with the seller about the manual and they found it. Hope it looks as good in person as the advertisement shows.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got some pictures for us yet, well assuming it was in good condition and you purchased it?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

sehast wrote:Just be advised there are other options to get a similar capability.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsit ... tab_anchor
That seems pretty cheesy compared to the SS Johnt-Matic. It might be OK since I have never seen it or the Joint-Matic either.

Then there is the ultimate, the JDS Multi Router. https://jdstools.com/product/multi-router/
Like buying a Power Pro.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT