motor slow down

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wayy999
Silver Member

Re: motor slow down

Post by wayy999 »

hope you got my 3 picture had to send 3 time not sure how to post 3 on one reply? I see the the lower one but the upper one is attached to the speed knob so not sure how that works?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

No pic posted. There is a size limit for uploading pix. 2050 x 1180 and 2 mb. All three must not be exceeded.

Yes posting pix is a bit counterintuitive.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

any luck with my pix?
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Just for a quick check, measure across the wide face of the V-Belt. It should not be less than 1/2". If it is, the belt is worn, it can drop too deep into the sheave set and begin binding just a bit.

It can bind so much that it freezes the motor entirely, or sieze up under load and more bad things can happen.

It may be a contributing factor. If you go to the main page of My Google Drive and review the document that started the entire thread https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690 a few years ago titled "Buying a Used Shopsmith V2.PDF" you will find a series of photos with hot links back to threads here, that displays how it should look.

Equally, the document Bill Mayo - Mark V Headstock Improvement - Repair Kit for Speed Control and Eccentric Bushing v1.01 13 Jun 2016.pdf that can be found in the Adjustment and Alignment Folder can be really helpful getting the speed dial set up correct, especially important when replacing the V-Belt.

Like others, I would love to see the pictures of what you have.

The motor slowdown can be tied to your internal wiring in the headstock, the cord that is powering the headstock, an extension cord, or even a loaded circuit, the condition of the blade sharpness or surface condition if cutting... a host of things outside of the motor itself.

Can you elaborate some on the conditions of those parts?

Everett
wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

Thanks for the reply. I've looked in and have pixs . It looks like the bottom sheave has the belt on the outer side of the sheave, the upper one open so the belt on longer touch it. also the speed control arm has a gap between it and the shaft upper sheave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wayy999 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I've looked in and have pixs . It looks like the bottom sheave has the belt on the outer side of the sheave, the upper one open so the belt on longer touch it. also the speed control arm has a gap between it and the shaft upper sheave
Now I be guessing the bearing and loop are missing from the end of the control sheave 'hub'.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO RUN IT AT LOWER SPEEDS IF THAT IS THE CASE!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

can you tell me more about the parts you are talking about? bearing and loop? what is the # on the drawing so I can see them on the drawing? thanks
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

This is but one photo from that document I mentioned that you might benefit from reading "Buying a Used Shopsmith V2.PDF" You will find it in the main folder of the My Google Drive link on this page: https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690

It is a great resource for learning the terminology and part names.

In the document, the photo is hot-linked to the thread from which that photo was taken so you can click on it and read about what was being discussed in that thread. The entire document was written that way, as an enhancement to a text only document written some years earlier by Nick Engler formerly with Shopsmith.

That document was downloaded over 5,000 times before I moved it to My Google Drive with dozens of other files. Again all all free and downloadable. Many including the one above are far too large to post here in the Shopsmith forums.

There is a lot of info there.

Equally, I reworked the exploded parts view into one large format document in PDF that you can zoom in quite effectively. See http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 45#p191045

Also, I highly recommend Jacob Anderson, an independent service site for Shopsmith. He has posted 31 YouTube videos to-date, free for you to view.

You will find those here: https://www.youtube.com/user/jacobvb10

He also has some far more detailed videos for sale. I own them and they too are very good.

Shopsmith has a significant grouping of free videos done by Nick Engler years ago when the graphic quality of videos were not as high resolution, that have great information for the novice. You will find those at http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Academy_Home.htm

Equally, as member volunteers we are here to help.

Everett
SP1 Speed Control annotated - Nick Engler 1321.jpg
SP1 Speed Control annotated - Nick Engler 1321.jpg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 9770 times
SHOPSMITH MARK V SHEAVE BUTTON - BEARING - LOOP small.png
SHOPSMITH MARK V SHEAVE BUTTON - BEARING - LOOP small.png (17.84 KiB) Viewed 9754 times
Last edited by everettdavis on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

The number for the loop is #111. The bearing is in the sheave.

http://www.shopsmith.com/service/headst ... s_list.htm
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

thankyou that looks like what my problem is ,I do not see the bearing and loop.