Double tilt 10ER?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Double tilt 10ER?

Post by rpd »

I knew I had seen one somewhere before. :)

In the photos section on the Yahoo Shopsmith10ERusers group there are two albums of photos of Chris Gentlle's Double Tilt 10ER
doulbletilt10er.jpg
doulbletilt10er.jpg (109.18 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
[https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sho ... 2019024682
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sho ... 1640345068
Double Tilt Base

cdgentile , Jul 6, 2012

Hi

I just posted some photos of a double tilt setup I have been working on. It has worked out really well and takes about 30 seconds to switch from tilting one way to another. I first drilled a 3/8 in hole completely through each tilt base and way tubes. I then made two cuts on each side of the tilt base bore one horizontal and the other vertical. After some clean up using the disc sander I inserted a 3/8in bolt and secured the bolt with a winged nut. All the work was done on another ER.
The cutting was done with an Avanti 7in circular cut-off blade (less than $3) at HD.
To tilt the unit I simply remove the two bolts on the opposite side and lift normally. This design does away with the hassle of having to remove the pins.

Chris in NC
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
badtheba
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Double tilt 10ER?

Post by badtheba »

rpd wrote:I knew I had seen one somewhere before. :)

In the photos section on the Yahoo Shopsmith10ERusers group there are two albums of photos of Chris Gentlle's Double Tilt 10ER
doulbletilt10er.jpg
[https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sho ... 2019024682
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sho ... 1640345068
Double Tilt Base

cdgentile , Jul 6, 2012

Hi

I just posted some photos of a double tilt setup I have been working on. It has worked out really well and takes about 30 seconds to switch from tilting one way to another. I first drilled a 3/8 in hole completely through each tilt base and way tubes. I then made two cuts on each side of the tilt base bore one horizontal and the other vertical. After some clean up using the disc sander I inserted a 3/8in bolt and secured the bolt with a winged nut. All the work was done on another ER.
The cutting was done with an Avanti 7in circular cut-off blade (less than $3) at HD.
To tilt the unit I simply remove the two bolts on the opposite side and lift normally. This design does away with the hassle of having to remove the pins.

Chris in NC
Very nice! I really don't want to do any of that cutting, or drilling clean through the way tubes like he did, as I'd like to be able to reverse changes and go right back to a normal machine if something doesn't work out for any reason. However I respect the quality of work in his method. It doesn't look like a hack job.

I do really like the table he modified for it, eliminating the trunnion altogether. Although I hadn't considered that before, I had considered buying a spare table just for the reverse mode. So having it bolted rigid to support rods instead of tilting was a good design I may steal.

Looks like he did a real nice job with the color scheme as well, I like the red on some smaller parts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Modified table???? Eliminated trunion????? The posts on the 10ER are smooth rounds, so, reversing the table is a simple matter of switching the posts in the carriage bores.

Oh I really like that mod! Simple yet elegant. Also very user friendly (highly functional!).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

JPG wrote:Modified table???? Eliminated trunion????? The posts on the 10ER are smooth rounds, so, reversing the table is a simple matter of switching the posts in the carriage bores.

Oh I really like that mod! Simple yet elegant. Also very user friendly (highly functional!).
As stated before, when the table is flipped around, the trunnion prevents the quill from being able to align with or get close to being centered on the table insert. Making the table offset from the trunnion so the trunnion can drop below the quill and get closer to the headstock was my first plan. Eliminating the trunnion and only being able to have the table perpendicular to the way tubes was this other user's solution. That would almost require having a spare table to be practical.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

badtheba wrote:
JPG wrote:Modified table???? Eliminated trunion????? The posts on the 10ER are smooth rounds, so, reversing the table is a simple matter of switching the posts in the carriage bores.

As stated before, when the table is flipped around, the trunnion prevents the quill from being able to align with or get close to being centered on the table insert. Making the table offset from the trunnion so the trunnion can drop below the quill and get closer to the headstock was my first plan. Eliminating the trunnion and only being able to have the table perpendicular to the way tubes was this other user's solution. That would almost require having a spare table to be practical.
Hmmmm. I seem to recall that :o ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Here are the rest of the photos from Chris Gentile's albums.

I couldn't get them to download properly from the Yahoo site so these are cropped screen shots.
dt2.jpg
dt2.jpg (90.45 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
dt3.jpg
dt3.jpg (132.32 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
dt4.jpg
dt4.jpg (143.32 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
dt5.jpg
dt5.jpg (153.81 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
dt6.jpg
dt6.jpg (114.62 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
dt7.jpg
dt7.jpg (115.63 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
dt8.jpg
dt8.jpg (113.62 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
dt9.jpg
dt9.jpg (107.74 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
dt10.jpg
dt10.jpg (118.42 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

OK, so while I was disassembling my old treadmill for its motor and electronics, I had an aha! moment. If I took the main treadmill frame and cut it apart, then bolted it to the bottom of a shortened bench using the metal 10ER legs, I'd be able to have a base on the floor that the "left" end of the machine would cantilever over when in horizontal mode... Bear with me.

Here's the bare frame as I removed it from my basement. I brought it over to my friend's shop to do the initial work on it.
IMG_20180222_150851707.jpg
IMG_20180222_150851707.jpg (486.66 KiB) Viewed 9018 times
Now this week my friend told me I'd have to round up some of my various projects because they had some larger cabinet jobs coming up and needed all the space they could get. So tonight I went over and cut it up as planned.

Here's what I ended up with. If everything goes as planned I'll have a very rigid frame thanks to the accessory shelf (original treadmill deck ripped narrower) a few inches off the floor.
IMG_20180315_212321424.jpg
IMG_20180315_212321424.jpg (618.7 KiB) Viewed 9018 times
Here's how it would be positioned if facing the front of the machine. The left end headrest would be on the tilting (yet to be built) platform cantilevered over that end. When tilted down, the headstock would be allowed to go much lower than if I were to use a second pivot base. I don't know if this would be an advantage or not.
IMG_20180315_213225692.jpg
IMG_20180315_213225692.jpg (629.5 KiB) Viewed 9018 times
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

By the way, I will be shortening that treadmill frame a lot.
Danriffle
Gold Member

Post by Danriffle »

Following with interest!
www.blacklocustwoodshop.com

4 - 10E/ERs
1 - MkV
1 - Yuba Sawsmith
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Danriffle,

There is not much to follow here since this thread has been idle for almost three years now.

Although I didn't comment on this thread at the time I had thought about how I would make one if I was to consider making a double tilt Model 10 for fun. I would probably set it up to remove the pins between the base and arm to release either end to tilt it. To me that would be the least amount of changes to accomplish the goal. I would modify the pins to make them easier to remove and re-insert. Chris' solution for the table is an option I would consider from his double tilt Model 10. Since I have a Mark 7 I don't need a double tilt Model 10 and will not likely make one.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.