Adjusting speed for lathing on a 10ER

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

doughpat
Silver Member

Adjusting speed for lathing on a 10ER

Post by doughpat »

Hi all-

Finally got my replacement tool rest for my 10ER. Hoping to start turning some basic spindles (mostly just for fun) ASAP.

I'm having a hard time finding out what combination of pulley positions (or, belt positions) I should use to get the appropriate speed for turning on the 10ER. I was going to just start on the middle position on both the motor and driven pulley...but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks-
Ryan
rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Adjusting speed for lathing on a 10ER

Post by rjent »

although I have turned on a 10ER I am a novice. You might check out this link:
http://woodworking-unlimited.com/ss_for ... 6e75cb2908

It gives you speeds and suggested speed to turning settings.

Good luck Ryan, they are great machines, I have 4 :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
doughpat
Silver Member

Post by doughpat »

Thanks for that....a couple of followup questions:

1.) There is no mention of the motor pulley position...only the headstock position. I guess I could assume a middle position (pulley #2) for the motor?

2.) Semi-dumb question: Which is pulley 1, and which is pulley 3? i.e. on the headstock pulley, is the largest pulley #1 or #3?

Thanks for your quick reply...printed out that chart and put it right on my SS.

Ryan
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

See if this helps based on the basic pulleys. You would be well advised to look at the variable speed changer mechanism if you can pick one up used on eBay as that will allow even further reductions especially helpful for turning bowls on a face plate.

These illustrations came from the Restored 10ER Owner's Guide I did last year.

Everett
FIG 11.png
FIG 11.png (76.34 KiB) Viewed 21161 times
Page 20 Accessories Speed Changer.png
Page 20 Accessories Speed Changer.png (978.59 KiB) Viewed 21161 times
doughpat
Silver Member

Post by doughpat »

Thanks, Everett--very helpful. Between Dick's help and yours, I know what RPM's i'm looking for, and which pulley to use on the headstock...

But...

Still looking to know which pulley I should be using on the motor.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

doughpat wrote:Thanks, Everett--very helpful. Between Dick's help and yours, I know what RPM's i'm looking for, and which pulley to use on the headstock...

But...

Still looking to know which pulley I should be using on the motor.
I am confused. You have to use the motor pulley in line with the head stock pulley. In Everett's post, 3 to 3, 2 to 2 and 1 to 1. You can't skew the belt between the pulleys. That gives you 3 speeds, 850, 1725 and 3450 RPM. If you get a speed changer as Everett suggested you have infinitely variable speeds from 425 to 6800 RPM.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The shopsmith uses the same ratio pulley on both shafts so unlike some older drill presses it doesn't do you any good to off set the belt. Thus just align the pulley on the top to the one and the bottom and you are all set to go.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Can you give us a Pic? I have seen ERs where the pulleys by previous owners where all put on/changed for for there what ever use/thinking!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:Can you give us a Pic? I have seen ERs where the pulleys by previous owners where all put on/changed for for there what ever use/thinking!!
Assuming one can get pulleys with the correct bore, about anything goes. However to keep things 'stock' and as intended by the manufacturer, as has already been said big to small, medium to medium, small to big. Both pulleys are 2/3/4 inch diameter, which gets one 1/2, equal, 2x motor rpm.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
ERLover wrote:Can you give us a Pic? I have seen ERs where the pulleys by previous owners where all put on/changed for for there what ever use/thinking!!
Assuming one can get pulleys with the correct bore, about anything goes. However to keep things 'stock' and as intended by the manufacturer, as has already been said big to small, medium to medium, small to big. Both pulleys are 2/3/4 inch diameter, which gets one 1/2, equal, 2x motor
rpm.
That is the problem with the head stock pulley. The bore is 13/16" as I remember. I need to check to be sure. Regardless, it's bore size is not available anywhere I checked in the past. One could probably find a suitable pulley with a smaller bore and have it bored out. The motor pulley is not a problem since it is 5/8" which is available.

I checked and the head stock pulley bore is indeed 13/16".
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT