Tricked-out overarm pin router

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Tricked-out overarm pin router

Post by reible »

You have original table. That is what mine came with. The bad news was trying to find original pins for it, in fact I never did.

There is a base that is attached to the "U" and the top table can move back and forth.

I was able to find a new table top, well actually two of them. The first had damage in the front but I repaired it, the second was in like new condition.

The only major issues these can have is in the parts that need to control the raising and lowering of the router. You need to adjust them and keep them lubricated or you get galling. One had a very minor issue and I was able to file the part smooth enough. At the time there was no source of new parts, that may have changed with the introduction of the new version.

One neat trick that they don't cover is when you have dual routers installed. By putting a alignment pin in either router you end up with it working as a pin. The results are that you have an above the table or below the table pin router. When you want to see what is going on top side having the pin above is great, when you want to see what is happening on the routed part then the pin below is great.

I wanted one for so long, out of production and you just didn't see them sitting around anywhere, but ebay changed all that. Love that machine!

Ed

thunderbirdbat wrote:I have the steel frame but the table is bolted to the frame. The guy that I got it from said that he purchased it from a cabinet shop. Currently there is not a table insert to allow for an under table router. I can add that feature in the future as long as I plan it into the stand build now. I figure I still got a bargain at $100. Included pictures are from the seller's ad.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Any idea as to what this is?
1ddddddd.jpg
1ddddddd.jpg (41.26 KiB) Viewed 199417 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

reible wrote:Any idea as to what this is?
1ddddddd.jpg
Ed
I believe this was on it when the the guy got it, from a production cabinet shop, as he never used it. It appears to have had things bolted to various holes in the past. I could take a guess and say they probably had dust collection and the router cord bolted to it to keep them out of the way. Maybe some form of safety shield as well. The black u-bolt holds it on the arm.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I agree you got a bargain!!!

I am also sure you will be able to make it do what you want it to do.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Sherlock
Gold Member

Post by Sherlock »

If one is Tricking Out the OPR, a router will be needed. Might take a look at the Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4 Peak HP Variable Speed Fixed Base Router. A favorite of “reible”, where I found a link when researching possibilities. Amazon has it for $111.81. And $25 off on a Holiday promotion. Not to mention free shipping. What a deal. Enjoy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

I finally acquired the OPR arm from CL and support for my stand alone router table. I have yet to put it together, but had some more questions for you BuckeyeDennis and the other members here:

1. What size ratchet bolts did you use to secure the arm to the main post?
2. What size casters will fit the table? I have ones the previous owner had, but one is broken and they did not include the levers.

I plan to order the shaft collar too. Thank you for the link you provided.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

delong94 wrote:I finally acquired the OPR arm from CL and support for my stand alone router table. I have yet to put it together, but had some more questions for you BuckeyeDennis and the other members here:

1. What size ratchet bolts did you use to secure the arm to the main post?
2. What size casters will fit the table? I have ones the previous owner had, but one is broken and they did not include the levers.

I plan to order the shaft collar too. Thank you for the link you provided.

Congrats on the new acquisition! They sure are mighty handy machines.

I bought these 3/8-16 ratchet knobs from Amazon. IIRC, I also bought new/longer bolts from my local Ace Hardware, along with some spacers to get the ratchet knobs out far enough to clear the arm casting.

My OPR has standard SS casters, along with some SS adapter brackets and spacers. I don't believe the brackets are still available from the mothership, but it wouldn't be that hard to fabricate something similar. Pic of mine below.
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG (851.59 KiB) Viewed 198871 times
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

Thank you. The brackets are there for the casters... I'll need to get some new casters later on. I plan to get the ratchets and collar too.
Sherlock
Gold Member

Post by Sherlock »

Kind of a minimalist idea here. I just added a pair of wheels at the back of the stand. The wheels just barely touch the floor until I lift the front of the stand to roll it out from the wall to use. I had the wheels and it seems to work pretty good so probably won’t upgrade. Thinking about doing some drawers in that lower space which might interfere with casters. Can always use the storage and help stabilize the stand.
Attachments
IMG_20170216_165329 R.jpg
IMG_20170216_165329 R.jpg (349.95 KiB) Viewed 198828 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Sherlock wrote:Kind of a minimalist idea here. I just added a pair of wheels at the back of the stand. The wheels just barely touch the floor until I lift the front of the stand to roll it out from the wall to use. I had the wheels and it seems to work pretty good so probably won’t upgrade. Thinking about doing some drawers in that lower space which might interfere with casters. Can always use the storage and help stabilize the stand.
I like that idea. About the only time that I move mine is to pull it forward a few inches, and your system is much quicker for that than the SS casters. Plus, being tall, the machine tilts to the side quite a bit when the SS casters are lowered.