Shop Built Router Table Attachment, model 510

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodio
Silver Member

Shop Built Router Table Attachment, model 510

Post by woodio »

I just finished making a router table attachment for my Shopsmith 510. I was looking for a simple and clean solution.
It measures 22 x 18 and is made of 3/4 birch plywood with 5/16 x 1-1/2 in. aluminum flat stock for side plates, plus the tubes removed from a small extension table bought on ebay. I had to use washers on the tube spacers for proper spacing. Threads were tapped into each side plate for the thumb wheels. I mounted a router base to the underside. I left enough room in case I add a plate mounting system someday.
photo of completed table
photo of completed table
ss router table1.jpg (316.28 KiB) Viewed 9633 times
tubes salvaged from extension table
tubes salvaged from extension table
ss router table2.jpg (350.11 KiB) Viewed 9633 times
The underside
The underside
ss router table3.jpg (323 KiB) Viewed 9633 times
washer closeup
washer closeup
ss router table4.jpg (334.53 KiB) Viewed 9633 times
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Re: Shop Built Router Table Attachment, model 510

Post by roy_okc »

Woodio,

Thanks for posting. I want to build a router table in the not-too-distant future. I've been leaning toward putting it on my work cart (I have a 'wing' that can be raised/lowered), however, this sort of concept has been on my mind for a while -- nice to see the concept implemented.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I built one similar using the 510 table parts. I have 4 Tubes with Welded Studs (Part # 514663) with tube spacers (514101)and jack screws (514440) available at a reasonable price if someone wants to do this also. PM me if interested.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

woodio wrote:I just finished making a router table attachment for my Shopsmith 510. I was looking for a simple and clean solution.
It measures 22 x 18 and is made of 3/4 birch plywood with 5/16 x 1-1/2 in. aluminum flat stock for side plates, plus the tubes removed from a small extension table bought on ebay. I had to use washers on the tube spacers for proper spacing. Threads were tapped into each side plate for the thumb wheels. I mounted a router base to the underside. I left enough room in case I add a plate mounting system someday.
--------------

NICE - NICE very good thinking and terrific work :D

--
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
squashfest81
Gold Member

Post by squashfest81 »

Just found the router solution I was needing. Well done.
mbinmk
Bronze Member

Post by mbinmk »

Very impressive. I shall try to copy it by taking a spare floating table apart. But what is the thread on the thumb Wheel? Clearly not metric, which most UK TAPS now are. Also do you intend to mount the table between the headstock and an extension table, or at one end, supported perhaps by the 510 telescopic legs?

MB in MK
woodio
Silver Member

Post by woodio »

You are correct the threads are US. If I recall they are 1/4-20 UNC threads. I mounted it one end. Legs are not needed unless you are routing some heavy pieces.
woodio
Silver Member

Post by woodio »

UPDATE
I've since updated to the 520 tables. So I have the aluminum rails available. Send me a private message if interested.