Maple slab coffee table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Maple slab coffee table

Post by hjlssfor1 »

I recently purchased a maple slab to build into a coffee table. The slab is a little undersized, and I would appreciate ideas as to how to give the slab additional size and heft. In particular, I would like to add to the long dimension of the slab.

Would mounting the slab on top of a flat base (of wood, possibly maple, but probably contrasting in color to some extent to highlight the slab) make sense? One of the problems is that I want to use it as a coffee table in front of a couch, so it would be best to have a more-or-less even top surface (to hold drinks, snacks, etc.), and to do that, I would have to recess the slab into the larger base so that the top surface would be level.

Any ideas as to what kind of base might work?

Is there a good online resource of photos of tables that I could review?

Thanks for any assistance.

Hank
davebodner
Gold Member

Re: Maple slab coffee table

Post by davebodner »

I think that's going to be hard. My first suggestion is breadboard ends. But, that's only going to add a couple of inches or so.

Maybe you could cut the maple in half and insert a large "double-ended breadboard" between the two pieces of maple. That way the whole thing is still symmetrical.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I love Matt Downer's stuff. Check out his Desk & Tables gallery and see if it gives you any ideas.

http://mattdownerdesigns.com/desks-tables/

A pic of your slab might help us come up with ideas. Is it live/natural edge?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

If you wish to keep the long ends of the table shaped by your slab, Dave Bodner's Idea is excellent. If your slab is over an inch thick, it won't need any additional base support after inserting a center piece.

Bread board style of the insert is recommended, as it will have several tenons - one is glued and pegged, the others are pegged through the tenons which have elongated peg holes.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I spotted these pictures of live edge tables on UsedVictoria.com, (kind of like Craigslist).
54378436_934.jpg
54378436_934.jpg (59.37 KiB) Viewed 7057 times
54378437_934.jpg
54378437_934.jpg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 7057 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
squashfest81
Gold Member

Post by squashfest81 »

Fill the middle in some contrast always looks good, but modern. Glass even more so. Even cut somewhere in the middle, preferably at an angle, and just space the pieces apart. Saw a dude cut and space, then fill with epoxy and LED's, very Tron.
Just post up the progress.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Did I miss something, and just reread the original Post, he wants to make the slab longer for sure and some width I think?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Post by hjlssfor1 »

Thanks to all, for lots of good ideas, but I did not make myself clear. Here is an image of the slab, which is amazingly close to a map of Montana, where I spend part of the year:
Mapleslab.jpg
Mapleslab.jpg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 7020 times
I do not want to cut or otherwise change the perimeter or dimensions of the slab, so splitting/cutting the slab and the breadboard ideas will not work for me. The 2 1/2' dimension is the one I would like to extend somehow to make it more usable as a coffee table.

Here is a slab with a live edge surround (that would increase the outside dimensions), but I do not know how to deal with the irregular 4th side of my slab (the western border of Montana side of the slab):
LiveEdgesurround.jpg
LiveEdgesurround.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 7020 times
Any other thoughts on how to use my slab as a coffee table?

Thanks.

Hank
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I still think the glass would work. If you cut it at about the 1' mark on the 2 1/2' side and put an inset of glass or a contrasting type of wood. This would allow the odd shaped end to be the actual edge of the table.

An other option would be make a mold and use a polyester resin to fill in the area around the slab to make it the size you want. http://www.stacklab.ca/#/portfolio/square-cut-burl/
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

How about going with an intentionally asymmetric look? You could join another slab to the square-cut end (in a contrasting wood, if you like), to extend the length however much you wish. I just wouldn't make it half-and half. Maybe try the "golden ratio". I'm thinking some massive dovetails or box joints for the joinery ... that would add a lot of visual interest. Or a butt joint with butterflies top and bottom .. you can do those with a router. But first, I'd recut that end at a slight angle, or better yet a curve.

If you want it wider as well, add full-length strips to each side. But since we're doing asymmetric, I'd probably make those different widths. They would make the fancy slab joinery unnecessary, structurally at least.

Then finish it off with an asymmetric understructure. The pic below might give you some ideas on that.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (128.64 KiB) Viewed 6995 times