Greenie Information

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Tylerh
Gold Member

Greenie Information

Post by Tylerh »

When I picked up my greenie last month it came with a box with different papers in it. I had looked through it quickly but then just put it off to the side to get started with the tear down. Well tonight as I was digging through the box I found a small packet of papers with the front labeled "Spare Parts List" (will post a pic). Upon further inspection it has basically the exploded diagrams as any normal manual but every part also has more info listed next to it in the parts list (what I was looking for was the different screw sizes, and found every single one!) Now I'm not sure if this is very common or not, but through my searches I haven't seen anything about it. I will post some pics but if it's not very common, I can scan and upload each page if needed by others. It also lists the modifications that happend as the Mark V evolved.
Attachments
Front page
Front page
rps20160707_014436.jpg (181.23 KiB) Viewed 13147 times
Full headstock page
Full headstock page
rps20160707_014857.jpg (231.41 KiB) Viewed 13147 times
Partial headstock parts list
Partial headstock parts list
rps20160707_014541.jpg (242.77 KiB) Viewed 13147 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Greenie Information

Post by dusty »

What you have appears to be an earlier version but is it not the same as this parts list which is available online.

No, it is not. I just realized that you have a Greenie.

But, I think that you can download it from here.

Oops. No parts list. Now I do find that to be unusual. It is from the parts list that users buy parts. One would think that Shopsmith would do all that they could to accommodate a user who needs parts.

It appears as though that low level detail has disappeared from later versions of the parts lists.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Tylerh
Gold Member

Post by Tylerh »

I also have those documents that came with the machine originally. That's why I thought it was unusual because none of them went into that much detail. I'll have to post some more pics, it even came with the very old "warranty" card that was supposed to be mailed in. I also noticed last night that I have a Mark 5 made by Magna. SN# 263417
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes Greenies and Goldies and early gray ones are Mark 5's.

If you could scan that document into a pdf that would be great.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Tylerh
Gold Member

Post by Tylerh »

Oh I didn't know they were all 5's. I'll work on making that a PDF. I've never done it so it might take a while. I also have the original jig saw manual (sold for $1.50!) that is very informative. Also with the exploded view and the extra info for parts like screw sizes and such that I can make into a PDF.
Attachments
Jig Saw Manual Parts List
Jig Saw Manual Parts List
rps20160707_141738.jpg (197.19 KiB) Viewed 13071 times
Malpratice
Bronze Member

Post by Malpratice »

I just aquirred my first SS for an impressive $150. It's a repainted Brownie, I'm mostly sure! It didn't have it's serial number plate with it so I'm not sure when built. Anyway I have broke down the headstock and realized someone has lost alot of screws. 3 different kinds on the covers alone. Your pictures are great but I can't tell what the cover screws are supposed to be. I have used Alumalux on the speed control mounting screws to get them all the same, and willing to do them all but to what size? Or do I just pick the most common hole and the screw type I like and go for it? Thanks to all for your input.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Tylerh wrote:I also have those documents that came with the machine originally. That's why I thought it was unusual because none of them went into that much detail. I'll have to post some more pics, it even came with the very old "warranty" card that was supposed to be mailed in. I also noticed last night that I have a Mark 5 made by Magna. SN# 263417
Go to post titled: Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More
at https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690

Follow the ‘My Google Drive Link’ illustrated below
Shopsmith Large Format Drawings Illustrations and More.png
Shopsmith Large Format Drawings Illustrations and More.png (57.58 KiB) Viewed 12321 times
Files are in Folders:

There are numerous documents manuals and other material, with document restorations, some with enhanced photos, and word search capable, with active tables of contents. All free and donated to the Worldwide Shopsmith Community.

There’s even a section I personally scanned from Dr. Hans Goldschmidt’s personal files that he felt should be preserved. They stayed in a closet in Dayton for over 30 years until I scanned them in 2018.

Early Greenie Manuals are there, but there are a number of versions I am still seeking to preserve. If yours is different than the ones I have restored already and you want to share, scan individual pages to JPG at 300 dpi in color if you wish to submit them.

Email them to ShopsmithHistorian@gmail.com. That email is not a communication email that I answer, just receive file submissions for restorations.

Welcome to the Family,

In the 1954+ Mark 5 folder you may find the exploded parts list of the headstock which I reoriented of particular use in visualizing how the headstock goes together. I have done similar drawings for other models in that form, even the bandsaw etc. You just have to look about some to find them all.

The Buying a Used Shopsmith PDF on the main page was my first file submission to these forums when I joined in March 2015. I had over 40 years Shopsmith experience at the time I found these forums and connected with the late Bill Mayo. Since that time I have found other friends and mentors here who have helped me acquire the collection of information I have restored and shared.

Blessings in your journey here,

Everett
My Google Drive - Early Greenie Manuals.png
My Google Drive - Early Greenie Manuals.png (162.1 KiB) Viewed 12321 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIRC all the 'cover screws' were 8-32 on the "A" headstock which had tapped holes.

Later models used tinnerman clips and matching screws.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Malpratice
Bronze Member

Post by Malpratice »

Thank you both! I thought I would get an email notification there was a reply. Thanks much. My SS does not have a serial number plate. I do know it's a Brownie with a 1 1/8 A.o. Smith motor. It did have clips for the belt cover. Motor cover was all 1/4 "auto" screws. You know except 1, which was a #10. Anyway they are now all 1/4-20 Allen cap screws. I have enough to do the legs and wheel mounts. Taadaa!
I will get into you Google drive folder this weekend for sure. Thanks for sharing! I got no paperwork with mine to share.
Can you help me narrow down the age any closer than mid 62 to 67? If you need pictures of any or all of it I would be happy to provide them...
Again thanks much!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You said it is a "Brownie" which is more commonly known as a "Goldie" with it's Gold and Copper paint scheme. The Goldie paint scheme replaced the "Greenie" paint scheme in 1960 until 1963 when it was changed to the gray color. In 1961 the Gilmer drive was replaced by the Poly V drive. In 1962 the motor was changed from 3/4 HP to 1-1/8 HP. If yours is a "Goldie" than this can narrow down what year yours was made as long as it has not been upgraded in the drive or motor. Attached is a listing of many of the changes to the Mark 5/V through the years.
Mark 5-V Changes over the years.pdf
(81.6 KiB) Downloaded 1261 times
With sales dwindling, after the introduction of the Mark VII in 1963, the Mark 5 went out of production by the end of 1964. The Mark VII was still in production until 1968 when Magna American Corporation ended production on all of the Shopsmith tool line.

If you plan on repainting it the Rust-oleum hammered finish Copper and Oatmeal color paint is a near perfect match. That is the paint used on the restoration below.
IMG_0273 r.jpg
IMG_0273 r.jpg (229.86 KiB) Viewed 12005 times
This Goldie made in October of 1960 was upgraded to the 1-1/8 HP motor at some point.

By the way we love seeing pictures.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.