Father's Day

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Father's Day

Post by reible »

Happy Father's Day!

Anyone got special plans? Gifts that you would like to share? Thoughts on the day?

I think we are going to work in a fishing outing with my two sons and a few of the grandchildren. The sons and I haven't been fishing together in say 25 to 30 years. In fact up until a couple of days ago I haven't been fishing in maybe 20 years.

As a kid growing up in northern WI I did a lot of fishing. Opening day of Walleye season was almost as big a day as deer season. I remember having a minnow bucket, tackle box and fishing pole all strung on my bike and riding off to fish....... not safe at any speed but that is how we did it.

I even got my Mom hooked on fishing. Even after I left home she would go off on her own and fish. Some times I don't think she even put a hook on the line...... the fish didn't eat well but I don't think they minded.

So I'm in the store the other day and decided it was time to get some gear and just do it. Well I did. This is one of the reason one retires, you can just decide one day that you are going fishing and baring any doctor appointments or honey do lists you can just do it.

Anyway I hope you all get to enjoy your day.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Father's Day

Post by algale »

My son and I took A Slow Boat to Nowhere to the Triadelphia Reservoir in Brookeville, MD. A short drive. Beautiful scenery. The fish were jumping but we weren't using the right lures, I guess because we caught nothing!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (192.75 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (263.68 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
Last edited by algale on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

reible wrote:Happy Father's Day!

Anyone got special plans? Gifts that you would like to share? Thoughts on the day?

Ed
Same back to you Ed! :D
No new tools today, but it is a happy one with phone calls from the kids and a special Mexican restaurant outing with my dear Wife of 59 years.

I already exceeded my posting quantity for today, so "that's all folks!"
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote:Happy Father's Day!

Ed
I will be going to visit with my daughter this afternoon, I think we will go for a walk, there are nice trails by her house. :)
She is getting me a first edition Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone, (the 10er edition). It probably won't get here till next week but it is on its way. :)

I spent some time in the shop earlier and turned a couple of twig/weed pots from a branch of apple wood that we cut from a tree in my daughters yard last year.
twig pots blanks.JPG
twig pots blanks.JPG (649.19 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
I am very pleased with how they turned out, there is some spalting in the wood.
twig pots 1.JPG
twig pots 1.JPG (345.03 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
twig pots 2.JPG
twig pots 2.JPG (344 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
The one on the left is for my daughter and the one on the right is a gift for my wife for our anniversary/my birthday on Tuesday.

Happy Fathers Day
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

rpd wrote:I will be going to visit with my daughter this afternoon, I think we will go for a walk, there are nice trails by her house. :)
She is getting me a first edition Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone, (the 10er edition). It probably won't get here till next week but it is on its way. :)
And it finally arrived this past week, and she gave it to me this afternoon (Sunday) when I went to visit. :cool: Sixth printing, excellent condition, with dust jacket. :D
PTWFE1953.JPG
PTWFE1953.JPG (321.75 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Is that Er Stuff? OMG if it is can you redo it clearer?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

ERLover wrote:Is that Er Stuff? OMG if it is can you redo it clearer?
Yes, the first edition (1953) of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone. published by McGraw Hill, is written for the 10ER. :D
The second edition (1955) published by Magna Publication was rewritten for the Mk5 (greenie), and there have been a few updates since then, including one for the old Mk VII, (Modern Power Tool Woodworking by R.J DeCristoforo)
The best place to find one is on a site like Abe Books., prices are for the most part better than on ebay.
Just run through all the listings, there are two or three of the one you want. ie. published by McGraw Hill.
Happy hunting. ;)
Ron Dyck
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have the same printing but mine came without a dust jacket so I did my own:
IMG_2503sc.jpg
IMG_2503sc.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have two copies. The working copy has no dust jacket.

The second copy has the dust jacket and was owned by Hans Goldschmidt the SS inventor.
Attachments
DSCF1121 (640x480).jpg
DSCF1121 (640x480).jpg (197.87 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
DSCF1199 (480x640).jpg
DSCF1199 (480x640).jpg (179.75 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

jsburger,

What an amazing find! I really like the display case. Any chance you took pictures during the build?