Mark IV?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Steamdragon
Gold Member

Mark IV?

Post by Steamdragon »

Someone has what they are calling a Mark IV for sale in my area.
First was there a Mark IV?
Second the picture looks like a much newer powerhead with the wide red power switch.
Any thoughts?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/5549337282.html
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mark IV?

Post by algale »

No, there never was a Mark IV.

Its a frankensmith: Mark 5 Greenie, with two carriages, and two main tables and a modern grey headstock. Note that the ad (not that I'd trust it) says its got the 3/4 hp motor.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yep it is a whatzit. That is not bad, just unusual.

I am guessing the 'left' table is the original greenie and the 'right' table is a later version. It appears to have the 'upgraded' rip fence.

A bit high $ IMHO. Wait and it may be obtained for less. The seller seems eager.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Take into the effect it is in San Fransisco, land of the daisies :eek:
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
Tunahead44
Bronze Member

Post by Tunahead44 »

I have a Mark IV
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Tunahead44 wrote:I have a Mark IV
Are you, by any chance, located in the San Francisco area?

I ask because the last person who posted here about a Shopsmith Mark IV had one listed for sale in the San Francisco area. This just might be "one of a kind". :rolleyes: This was back in April 2016.

Pictures - Please
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As Dusty asked please post a picture of where it says it is a Mark IV. Include one of the Belt Cover Vent Plate and if it has one because it was made in December 1987 or later, the serial & model number on the separate sticker.

Mark IV shows up from time to time in listings but I have yet to see one that is actually a Mark IV instead of being misnamed.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.