Confucious tip of the day

Post by JPG »

What does 1 1/4" have to do with this?
TIP.jpg
TIP.jpg (214.42 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Re: Confucious tip of the day

Post by skou »

OK, we're dealing with 3 axes here. (Not three large hatchets, but 3 different axis-es.)

Lets call the axis the drill travels in, the Z axis, the direction the piece of wood would slide
against the fence, the X axis. We've got the Y axis left.

Imagine we're looking straight down, as if the drill bit was our eye. Board will slide back and
forth, and assuming we followed the directions above, we could drill a hole right through the
center , but only if we have a stop to limit movement on the X axis. The above (Jet tools?)
procedure locked in the Y axis.

The 1.25 inch measurement, have no idea as to why.

There are other discrepancies in the article, too.

Scrap piece of wood needs to be the same exact thickness as the
"real" piece, and also needs to have all 4 sides square, as does the "real"
piece.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

skou wrote:OK, we're dealing with 3 axes here. (Not three large hatchets, but 3 different axis-es.)

Lets call the axis the drill travels in, the Z axis, the direction the piece of wood would slide

Imagine we're looking straight down, as if the drill bit was our eye. Board will slide back and
forth, and assuming we followed the directions above, we could drill a hole right through the
center , but only if we have a stop to limit movement on the X axis. The above (Jet tools?)

Steve I think it is a 4/1 question/joke???? Maybw

piece.

steve
Steve I think it maybe a 4/1 joke!!!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Speaking of 4/1, Lee Valley's newest.
lee.jpg
lee.jpg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Gene Howe wrote:Speaking of 4/1, Lee Valley's newest.
lee.jpg
Thanks Gene, :) I was looking for their latest April 1 offering yesterday and missed it.
Here is the link to the whole page and video. Veritas® Precision Rotary Tool Holder
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:
skou wrote:OK, we're dealing with 3 axes here. (Not three large hatchets, but 3 different axis-es.)

Steve I think it is a 4/1 question/joke???? Maybw

piece.

steve
Steve I think it maybe a 4/1 joke!!!!
IF SO, IT CAME OUT EARLY!(3/31)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

Good for a laugh.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I did not think it an April 1 joke. Rather that something was missing or misstated.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

Comments on that tip go back to June of 2014.... Not an April Fools joke from this year at least.
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I guess I let my frustration with inane tips that purport to do something that are described in a confusing(and sometimes wrong) way with irrelevant details(1 1/4"???).

The stated objective was to drill from opposing edges of a 6" board and meet so as to provide a straight bore.

So what does it do? Introduce an irrelevant detail(centering it across the edge).

The center that matters is where the opposing bored holes meet.

All that is required is to maintain the same face tightly against the fence(distance from edge) and accurately locate the opposing hole along the edge(distance from end).

Assuming a square end, a stop could be attached to the fence so as to provide a dimple in the same manner as described, but located along the two edges. If off center, a square can extend the mark across the second(opposing) edge. *

* P.S. No trial and error. Only one dimple on both opposing edges.

P.P.S. Stop used to make dimples only. Drill at dimple location along edges but flip the board so as to have same face of board against the fence.

KISS!!!! This is easier to 'show' than describe with mere words.

Maybe just get a longer bit! :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝