Might be a good deal..... Triton 2-1/4 HP Plunge Router

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Might be a good deal..... Triton 2-1/4 HP Plunge Router

Post by reible »

Well that was pretty fast. The dust port arrive just after noon today, wasn't scheduled until tomorrow.

Of course I had to open it right away.
IMG_0721sc.jpg
IMG_0721sc.jpg (72.63 KiB) Viewed 8238 times
I will give it try with the router sometime later today and I have high hopes. The piece is flexible and should conform to the port. As a guess I think I will be trimming off then small end. Then of course I have to see if I have a hose that will fit it........
IMG_0722sc.jpg
IMG_0722sc.jpg (67.41 KiB) Viewed 8238 times
IMG_0723sc.jpg
IMG_0723sc.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 8238 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

General information on the dust collection issue.

Here is a picture of the adapter (screwed) into the dust port and a hose attached.
IMG_0724sc.jpg
IMG_0724sc.jpg (114.88 KiB) Viewed 8227 times
Looking at it from inside it looks like this:
IMG_0725sc.jpg
IMG_0725sc.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 8227 times
Keep in mind the sub-base is off in these pictures.

I cut the small end off the adapter because it came inside the router too far. I stated playing with the vacuum attachments I have, hoses and adapters. Any of the smaller "1-1/4 hose ends fit but not all the same amount of retention. While these hose ends serve the same function they don't work alike. The green arrow points to the one that fits best.
IMG_0728sc.jpg
IMG_0728sc.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 8227 times
The best fit I have is not a good choice for hand held operations because it takes it to a larger hose with that much more stiffness and weight.
IMG_0727sc.jpg
IMG_0727sc.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 8227 times
After all of this I'm only marginally happy. I'd like to see a better hold, not that it is bad, but then it isn't great either. Final judgment will be after I trying using this in a real world job.

Ed
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

It seems we are not nearly alone in this quest

http://lumberjocks.com/spaids/blog/8173

I have some 1 1/2 coiled hose, so I may try to duplicate the fix by "Roswell".
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I stopped by Ace hardware earlier this afternoon and picked up a couple samples of flex hose that were about 1.5" OD. The smaller one almost fit, but I couldn't quite shove it past the "threads" on the ID of the port. So I did the same thing that Roswell did - just loosen three screws fastening the clear plastic part, insert the hose, and tighten it down. Works perfectly. Tomorrow, when I go back to Ace to get a full length of hose, I'll get the hose part number and post it here.

BTW, even with a 1.5" OD hose and no adapter, on my TRA001 the through-table elevation-crank rod just barely clears the hose. There is absolutely no room to spare.

I have an adapter that fits old Kirby household vacuum attachments, and it fit the flex hose perfectly.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:I stopped by Ace hardware earlier this afternoon and picked up a couple samples of flex hose that were about 1.5" OD. The smaller one almost fit, but I couldn't quite shove it past the "threads" on the ID of the port. So I did the same thing that Roswell did - just loosen three screws fastening the clear plastic part, insert the hose, and tighten it down. Works perfectly. Tomorrow, when I go back to Ace to get a full length of hose, I'll get the hose part number and post it here.

BTW, even with a 1.5" OD hose and no adapter, on my TRA001 the through-table elevation-crank rod just barely clears the hose. There is absolutely no room to spare.

I have an adapter that fits old Kirby household vacuum attachments, and it fit the flex hose perfectly.
Hose 1.JPG
Hose 1.JPG (662.4 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Hose 2.JPG
Hose 2.JPG (627.97 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Hose 3.JPG
Hose 3.JPG (549.69 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Hose 4.JPG
Hose 4.JPG (503.34 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Hose 5.JPG
Hose 5.JPG (583.07 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Hose 6.JPG
Hose 6.JPG (506.16 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Hose 7.JPG
Hose 7.JPG (528.77 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Today was a bust for shop time but I did stop at my Menards store to get a few things so I guess there is that.

Interesting that I found something that is almost the same as what you got! I haven't had time to try it but from the tag it looks like it is the same hose but smaller. If it will not work I can return it as it came in a fixed length.
IMG_0756sc.jpg
IMG_0756sc.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 8167 times
Tomorrow I will see.

I think I have figured out how to mount the router in my table but wanted to see if this hose will work or not when mounted. Pretty tight fit anyway it goes.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My trip to the Ace was a bit of bust. They did not have the same hose but in the size I wanted (a larger size then I have). They did have a much stiffer blue version which I got a short section of but it is not going to work. For now I'm going to use the smaller hose I got at Menard's, well until I find a source for the other hose.

I got the router mounted and everything seems to check out function wise. The smaller hose can fit where the blue was just too stiff. It is tight in there but I can reach all the controls and make adjustments. The lock is a bit of a reach because of the location of the power switch on the cabinet but it is do able.

I working several projects so I have yet to test the table out but maybe tomorrow. I will then have a better idea how the hose works and if it is worth the effort or if all the plastic shields will have to come off and just attach to the back of the cabinet as it was designed to do.

I'm trying to decide how to store the spring. I think the router will be installed in the table almost all the time but if I for some reason want to take it out I need to be able to find the spring.......

BTW I found that an old 35mm film canister fits over the chuck really well. I like to keep the dust out of there and it looked like that is the perfect size.

Ed
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote:My trip to the Ace was a bit of bust. They did not have the same hose but in the size I wanted (a larger size then I have). They did have a much stiffer blue version which I got a short section of but it is not going to work. For now I'm going to use the smaller hose I got at Menard's, well until I find a source for the other hose.
Ed
Places to try , Hydroponics stores, Marine Supply stores (boats), Swimming pool supply stores.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

If my hose had been a bit undersized, I was planning to build it up by wrapping it with tape where it clamps into the router port. That didn't turn out to be necessary, though.

I looked briefly at Amazon to see if they sold the same size bilge hose. I didn't see any, but one they did sell cautioned that it was not for use in a vacuum environment. So as a test, this morning I hooked my 5' hose up to my big shop vac, and blocked the hose inlet to get maximum vacuum. No collapsing problem, even when I squeezed those straight hose sections pretty hard by hand. And the flexible/ringed part is certainly not going to collapse.

Ed, if you want me to buy a piece of the hose at my Ace store and ship it to you, PM me. It's very lightweight, so shipping shouldn't cost much. You too, Ben.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Things did not progress as well as hoped on other projects so I had only a few minutes time to work on it today. The blue hose I got happens to fit an adapter I have and the other end accepts the white hose so I have connection system. I have to dig out a Y adapter now so I can hook up both the fence and the router dust collection ports. I think I have a spare in tub with all my other parts like that.

I did manage a picture of the inside of the cabinet and how the hose is connecting. Like I said it is tight in there but do able.
IMG_0763sc.jpg
IMG_0763sc.jpg (99.51 KiB) Viewed 8103 times
IMG_0765sc.jpg
IMG_0765sc.jpg (95.66 KiB) Viewed 8103 times
I was thinking that if I see too much leakage at the router I can always get some of that peel-able/removal-able caulk and use that at the connection. I used that on some old windows and it worked well at keeping the wind out until I could do a proper repair and just like it said it peeled right off without a trace.

I have to be out and about tomorrow so it might not be until Sat. that I get to fire it up and tested out.

Ed