Might be a good deal..... Triton 2-1/4 HP Plunge Router

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Might be a good deal..... Triton 2-1/4 HP Plunge Router

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Hmmm .. I haven't been able to find a source for the Triton adapter either. When I use the under-table router, I generally use a fence with an integrated dust port, which is pretty efficient. But I'd still like to get a hose on the Triton dust port, even if I have to use a hose clamp or some such. Meanwhile, I quickly learned to stick a piece of painter's tape over the table insert when I'm using the overarm router.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote:Do you think this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Triton-TDPANA-Dus ... ton+vacuum

Ed
That must be new. One would think it should fit, but I don't see the threads I expected. I thought the dust port was designed so that you can thread a helical hose directly onto it.

Adding to the confusion, I just checked out the Triton website. The TRA001 page, on the accessories tab, lists two different adapter model numbers, with identical descriptions, and blank spaces where the photos should be.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The two kits sound identical to the one I linked to at Amazon. I feel adventures so I will order the Amazon one and see what happens.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote:The two kits sound identical to the one I linked to at Amazon. I feel adventures so I will order the Amazon one and see what happens.

Ed
Cool!
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

reible wrote:Do you think this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Triton-TDPANA-Dus ... ton+vacuum

Ed
Maybe, but I would wonder how much dust might sneak by because of the threads. They are only partially on the inside, leaving wide gaps. I had considered writing Kreg (I think that is the US contact), to see if I could just buy that plastic piece, then trimming the pieces which form the threads so I have an unobstructed channel, but am more leaning to just making something that actually fits using the threads.
I did see that Triton hose adapter on EBay when I was first looking at the router, but never did get it and haven't seen one since. Peachtree had a bunch of stuff for the Triton that I bought on close out, but the hose adapter wasn't there.
As I was typing this, I thought I might turn a spindle, hand cut the threads, then hollow it.... hmmmm
MayBe when Ed checks it, the Porter Cable piece will work! :p

Be well,
Ben
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The one I ordered is the TDPANA which is the second one on the triton page. And it should be here the 16th according to Amazon.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I did try the rockler dust hose and yes you can get it in there but as indicated you would need to secure it somehow as it with out that it pulls out pretty easy.

I pulled the sub-base off to see how I will be mounting it to my router table. It is held on by 1/4-20 fasteners! I was thinking it would be metric but it isn't!

I see that if I mount the router the way I will have to in order to get it to fit then with the switch and lock in the front then the crank is going to be towards the back..... to bad. I'd like it to be forward of the fence and unless I come up with another way I don't see much of a way to fix that.

The table does have a power switch so I don't have to have access to the power switch on my other router but this one if locked on will not allow it to go into spindle lock position. So that will not work.

Well more time to think is in order before I start drilling.

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Ed, I also had to mount my TRA001 sideways to fit my OPR table. It turns out that mounting it with the switch in the rear is not a problem. I have an external switch too, but it's easy to operate the router switch by the "Braille system" when you need to change bits. There are features on the router that serve as tactile landmarks to help your fingers find the switch. And once you do, your fingers wrap around the router in a very natural position to actuate the switch cover and the switch. After practicing a few times, it's a piece of cake.

Not only does this orientation put the through-table crank where you need it, it also places the height-adjust knob front and center, should you want to use it for coarse adjustments. And it puts the plunge-lock lever in the ideal position for me.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The table I want to put it in looks like this except it is an older version sold with craftsman label.
older version of this sold as craftsman.jpg
older version of this sold as craftsman.jpg (53.53 KiB) Viewed 7644 times
The mounting plate is only 7" x 8" so I'm limited on how much I can move things around but it good to know you are managing with it mounted at an angle. Once it warms up in the shop a bit I will have more sense of how this will have to come together. For now I hope to re-drill the existing table insert to fit the mounting holes. I have a set of three reducer inserts that fit that plate but no way to mount guide bushings......... so I think I'm OK with that for now anyway.

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I have a similar Craftsman/Bosch router table, but with an aluminum table and plastic legs. The fence looks almost identical to yours. On that table, I relocated the switch to the side, so that the front is completely open for easy access to the router. (An old Craftsman plunge router.) My stand-alone OPR, of course, has an open front by design.

BTW, on my stand-alone OPR, the underside of the table interferes with access to the Triton dust port. Even if that adapter from Amazon fits the port, I don't think it will clear the underside of my table. So I'm going try some 1.5" OD vinyl tubing to fit the ID of the port, and then adapt it to a vacuum hose somehow a bit farther out.