Two Bearing Quill

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Two Bearing Quill

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:It certainly is a puzzle how it could have been assembled in the first place. I'd order a new two bearing quill. Then do a little destructive testing on this one to see how the heck it was built.
I agree Al. If the spline end is larger than the inside diameter of the bearing race then the spacer can not be part of the shaft. Otherwise you can't put it together in the first place. The spacer may be a very tight fit but it can not be part of the shaft. It has to come off. I would use the bearing puller and pull on the bearing and spacer together towards the quill shaft end.

On the 10ER the shaft is solid. The bearing on the spline end is installed and removed from that end. The bearing inner races is slightly larger than the splined portion of the shaft.
Attachments
IMAG0157-1.jpg
IMAG0157-1.jpg (155.55 KiB) Viewed 10820 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Check the diameter of the splined end of the shaft. A 6002 bearing calls for an ID of 15mm. If the splines measure 15mm the bearing should come off.
If it is actually a two piece shaft epoxied together then heating the shaft should soften the epoxy. Don't know why someone would put an item like this together because there would have to be some clearance room for the epoxy and I would think that would make alignment difficult.
May be just me but I wouldn't do it. JMHO.
Bill V
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Probably so it couldn't be repaired, giving me another chance to keep the "mothership" afloat.

Or, maybe they didn't think the bearings would ever need to be replaced.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wa2crk wrote:Check the diameter of the splined end of the shaft. A 6002 bearing calls for an ID of 15mm. If the splines measure 15mm the bearing should come off.
If it is actually a two piece shaft epoxied together then heating the shaft should soften the epoxy. Don't know why someone would put an item like this together because there would have to be some clearance room for the epoxy and I would think that would make alignment difficult.
May be just me but I wouldn't do it. JMHO.
Bill V
I agree totally. First if the bearing will not come off the spline end it HAS to be a two piece shaft. But epoxy? Why would anyone do that? Bearings fail and sometimes need to be replaced. SS is known for making almost everything repairable particularly as simple ball bearing. If you want the spacer tight then machine to a half thou interference fit and press it on.

Epoxy? :eek: How about Loctite? There are all types of Loctite for just this type of thing and they still allow disassembly.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Splined shaft measures 15.75 mm
Sleeve side measures 19 mm
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

And you are sure the shaft isn't pinned like this?

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

If only it were. Nope this has no roll pin.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:And you are sure the shaft isn't pinned like this?

WoW, that is about as unorthodox as epoxy. I guess the bearing supports the pinned shaft but why do it like that when there are so many easier solutions. I think I would have to question the sanity of the engineer that came up with that.
Last edited by jsburger on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Well, I tried heating the quill, I tired the bearing puller on both sides all to no avail. Bearing puller is just working against itself. This needs to be pulled apart, problem is their is nothing to pull on. I do have an old single bearing quill, it just needs a new bearing.

Anyone have Skip at MKC Tools modify a single bearing quill to a double bearing quill?

Is a double bearing quill really that big of a deal? Seems like I read on the forum that the second bearing was added in an answer to the total shop marketing that they had two bearings making their machine better.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Why not just buy a new 2 bearing quill from Shopsmith (p/n 518210) or look for one on a well=known internet auction site?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!