Two Bearing Quill

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benmcn
Gold Member

Re: Two Bearing Quill

Post by benmcn »

The bearing is essentially pressed between the spindle side of the shaft and the sleeve. In other words the splines are wider than the inner race, I can't drag the bearing that way (it would leave the inner race behind). It appears that I have the same problem trying to pull the bearing the other direction.
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Maybe this photo will help. The bearing rests against the splines. I can't pull the bearing this direction. The same relation ship exists on the other side with the couple sleeve.
Attachments
spline side close up2.jpg
spline side close up2.jpg (243.8 KiB) Viewed 11102 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Need a real closeup pix of the 'spacer'/shaft at the quill shaft end.

Question is, how was it put together initially?

BTW have you determined it was the bearings that 'clicked'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Here is a close up of the sleeve side of the spindle assembly. Notice how the inner race almost completely covered by the sleeve. Unless the sleeve can be removed I don't see how to replace this bearing. Maybe that is why I was told it can't be repaired.
Attachments
sleeve side close up2.jpg
sleeve side close up2.jpg (212.64 KiB) Viewed 11095 times
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Bearings were definitely shot. They spin like roller skate wheels and the roughness is palpable.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Closeup of the quill shaft/'spacer' end.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

It certainly is a puzzle how it could have been assembled in the first place. I'd order a new two bearing quill. Then do a little destructive testing on this one to see how the heck it was built.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

JPG
Yes. At least it was on the Craftsman.
Bill
P.S. If you notice on the photo of the front side of rear bearing there is less of the inner race showing than on the photo showing the rear side of the same bearing. This finally tipped me off that it was pressed over the splines. At least that proved to be the case on the Craftsman
PPS Look at the last 2 photos in the post @ 14:24 hours
Last edited by wa2crk on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

I am no artist, and haven't figured out how to use the CAD programs, but here is a low tech drawing of how I think this think was put together...

It looks like the inner bearing was pressed on to the side of the shaft with the spline. The splines serving as the stop or rest.

Next I imagine the business side of the shaft, which consists of the sleeve, outer bearing rest and tapered shaft were probably pressed onto the shaft with the splines and inner bearing. The inner bearing race or end of the shaft serving as the stop /rest. I remember Jacob Anderson in his headstock rebuild video saying that this was epoxied together

At this point the outer bearing might have been pressed on.
Attachments
quill drawing.jpg
quill drawing.jpg (60.65 KiB) Viewed 11092 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

benmcn wrote:I am no artist, and haven't figured out how to use the CAD programs, but here is a low tech drawing of how I think this think was put together...

It looks like the inner bearing was pressed on to the side of the shaft with the spline. The splines serving as the stop or rest.

Next I imagine the business side of the shaft, which consists of the sleeve, outer bearing rest and tapered shaft were probably pressed onto the shaft with the splines and inner bearing. The inner bearing race or end of the shaft serving as the stop /rest. I remember Jacob Anderson in his headstock rebuild video saying that this was epoxied together

At this point the outer bearing might have been pressed on.
Makes sense (except for the non-repairable part! :mad: ). Why did it need to be epoxied?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝