broke the number one rule. Now what.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Italian12G
Bronze Member

broke the number one rule. Now what.

Post by Italian12G »

So I have just inherited my grandfather’s Mark V and moved it from Storage to my workshop. I was so excited that my Uncle had given it to me and I am looking forward to passing this down to my son at some point. The problem is that when I got the shopsmith I started to turn stuff to see if there was anything that was seized. One of the things that I turned was the speed control. Now I am afraid to plug it is since they say not to turn the speed control without it running. What is the safest way to get the speed to where it was? I don't want to plug it in till I make sure that I won't damage anything. The speed knob only went so far before it stopped turning but I could see by the dial that it was still in the mid-range of the setting scale. Someone please help. I would hate to think that the first day I get this after so many projects done by my grandfather and I am the one that destroys it.
Attachments
my inherited ShopSmith
my inherited ShopSmith
20151130_134452.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 3099 times
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: broke the number one rule. Now what.

Post by ERLover »

I think you will be fine, made the same mistake, put the sanding disc on and turn the disc by hand, that should let the sheaves move to the position they where moved to by the speed changer. Then just cross fingers nd turn it on.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Welcome to the forum Italian. First thing to do is put a sanding disk on the quill, use that for turning the innards, while ya slowly turn the speed control down to "slow". Then it's time for clean up, waxing, lubing and a alignment.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:I think you will be fine, made the same mistake, put the sanding disc on and turn the disc by hand, that should let the sheaves move to the position they where moved to by the speed changer. Then just cross fingers nd turn it on.
A fine looking early Shopsmith Inc. machine.

Fear not! The fact that 'it stopped' means you did not force it. Spin a couple turns with the sanding disk, then remove it before turning it on.

Keep this episode in mind when adjusting the speed towards slow and do so slowly.

Lube it soon.

All the way to slow is is good, but not necessary at this time assuming it will run.

P.S. I think the miter gauge 'extension' board is mounted either reversed, or it was intended to be used in the other slot.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Italian12G
Bronze Member

Post by Italian12G »

Thanks everyone for the posts. Sorry for the stupidity but I am really new to the ShopSmith so here are some stupid questions ( I tried to stay up late last night reading the manual but I fell asleep) :)

Beeg - Is the sanding disk on the quill or do you mean where the table saw blade is now? Can I turn it where it is or must I move it.

JPG - I have looked at some of the You Tube videos and will be lubing it before I turn it on. What is the gauge extension board? Told you I was a nube.

Also can someone tell me a little about this Shopsmith, like how old it is and if I want to get parts is there a model that I should be looking for? I do not have any of the parts for the lathe except the "A" shaped tail piece or the chuck for drilling.

Thanks again everyone.
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Does not make a difference where the disc is, just its large diam gives you leverage to turn the spindle.
Miter gauge wood extension is that piece of wood attached to the miter gauge to give it more surface length. In your pic it is sitting on the table saw table.
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

If you are facing the SS by the swithc, on the power head, by the lower spindle to your left there is a SS emblem and the S# is on there.
Should be in here some where.
http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintenan ... t5092.html
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

You may also find some worthwhile information that was put together for someone considering buying or otherwise acquiring a used Shopsmith, as you have.

The initial PDF has a good bit of foundational information, cut away and labeled parts views, some links to the links you were already provided on how-to's etc. along with some hot linked photos to posts about various subjects of interest.

See http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... 90#p185690 to get started.

There are also larger exploded parts views to help you envision what's inside and how components relate to each other.

Good luck, and welcome to the family.

Everett
Italian12G
Bronze Member

Post by Italian12G »

Thanks everyone for the information. I am going to clean it, oil it, and then I am sure come back with more questions. :) Thanks again.
carbonman
Gold Member

Post by carbonman »

Italian12G wrote:So I have just inherited my grandfather’s Mark V
No biggie. I'm a newbie, too. I inherited my Dad's SS.
The speed control did not work.
That was my "get your feet wet" intro to the Mark 5.
Watch the videos, pull the covers off and started taking stuff apart.
I got new parts and replaced them. I only had to put it (speed controller)
together and take it apart a half dozen time before I got it right.
But, I know how it works now and how to take care of it. I can find that
hidden oil hole in nothing flat. I had to replace the on/off switch and the power cord.

I have been having as much fun taking stuff apart and cleaning/fixing
as I have had actually using it. The quill is the next project.

The help, advise, knowledge available here is invaluable.