CASTERS - HOME BREW

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

CASTERS - HOME BREW

Post by JPG »

Just arrived on E-Bay. Interesting can do solution to no casters.
casters home brew.jpg
casters home brew.jpg (180.92 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
I'm guessing it is a 'Gilmer'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
carbonman
Gold Member

Re: CASTERS - HOME BREW

Post by carbonman »

I love a good home brew fix. Cheap and effective.

..........glad I decided to pony up the bucks
for the SS fix.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:Just arrived on E-Bay. Interesting can do solution to no casters.
casters home brew.jpg

If it is a real Goldie, that's where the Poly-V was first introduced.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:
casters home brew.jpg

Everett
Nay my friend! :) The first goldies were indeed Gilmer. I think they were made by Yuba Power Products. However Yuba also made Mark 5s with a 1 1/8hp motor and I assume a Poly-V drive at the same time. The actual time frame is 'unclear'.

My guess is based upon the hubs. That is not an 'absolute' indicator, therefore it is a guess.

Yes Everett there really were 3/4 hp Gilmer Goldies. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:
everettdavis wrote:
casters home brew.jpg

Everett
Nay my friend! :) The first goldies were indeed Gilmer. I think they were made by Yuba Power Products. However Yuba also made Mark 5s with a 1 1/8hp motor and I assume a Poly-V drive at the same time. The actual time frame is 'unclear'.

My guess is based upon the hubs. That is not an 'absolute' indicator, therefore it is a guess.

Yes Everett there really were 3/4 hp Gilmer Goldies. ;)
That's weird, or just par for the course.

Buddy has sn 362076 Goldie his father bought new. They upgraded it to a Power Pro a couple of years ago.

It came stock with the Poly-V. That would have been early February 1960.

361990 Shows to be the production for January 1960, the first month Goldies were made. Doesn't surprise me to hear they used up extra Gilmer parts to finish up some product runs though. I have one very early 'A' headstock without a top seam, they didn't make into a machine in April 1955, I suspect in a first cast and finished, and last one off the shelf used scenario.

I had not seen an OEM Goldie Gilmer before, well still haven't but you have and that's good enough for me. It's one of those Santa Clause M&M moments: "They do exist!"

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have not 'seen' them, but at least 2 forum members have one.(at least until the PP came along ;) ).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝