New Shop Smith owner

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fitzhugh
Gold Member

Re: New Shop Smith owner

Post by fitzhugh »

Wow, I didn't consider that with the tubes. I just assumed something along the lines of 'they're rusty, so they aren't stainless, so they're fine.'

I've long assumed the warning was accurate. I still plan to act as if it is, and only bring this up as a point of interest that perhaps someone with domain knowledge can clarify: I read the following discussion and would normally take the word of those who seem to know their stuff there, only when it comes to creating a "My First Superfund Site" kit I tend to err on the side of caution.

I don't have the background to pick holes in either argument. Thoughts, anyone?
richardrouse
Gold Member

Post by richardrouse »

Stainless will rust under certain conditions.
I think that our bench and way tubes corrode due to long term exposure to the other metalic components that ride along the tubes. Contact with other steel can cause the chromium oxide layer to fail.
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

I know there are also degrees of stainless as well, but I didn't know about the steel contact issue. Oh, I know why I didn't think to worry: is seen warnings about using stainless as the sacrificial anode... I just had a seriousfailure of imagination and didn't think about stainless on the other end... Took the warning too literally.
Funbilly
Gold Member

Post by Funbilly »

Are the tubes stainless steel??
Are they chrome plated??
I cleaned a tube up yesterday and found that it has a satin finish to it,,,, and also has very small circular grooves in it. I thought they would be very smooth and shiny chrome.....or maybe it's just my tubes lol it's a 1955 Greenie
Any input on this anyone????
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

I do not know exactly how they differ but the way tubes are different than the bench tubes. My bench tubes have lost their shine but have not gotten rusty. The way tubes have lost some of their shine but can be brought back to an almost 'like new' condition by cleaning and waxing.

Again, I do not know for sure but I do not believe that they are chrome plated. Close examination shows some mill marks in both the bench and the way tubes.
Funbilly
Gold Member

Post by Funbilly »

Yes I see that they are different for sure. The bench tube are much rougher that the way tubes and rust much more than the way tubes.