New Shop Smith owner

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Funbilly
Gold Member

New Shop Smith owner

Post by Funbilly »

Hello everyone!
I just purchased my used Shop Smith Mark 5 (greenly) and it needs to be refurbished.
I live in Texas in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and am looking for local help.
Anyone willing to advise/help me??
Thanks, Billy
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New Shop Smith owner

Post by JPG »

Welcome to the forum!

Just about everyone here is willing to help.

We like pictures(helps communicate).

Start with the sticky posts at the top of the Maintenance and Repair forum.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
richardrouse
Gold Member

Post by richardrouse »

Welcome!

Everyone here is really helpful!

These things are a blast to take apart and fix
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to check out this New Owner Information. http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... t7092.html
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
greasemonkey2275
Gold Member

Post by greasemonkey2275 »

Welcome to the SS family and as an owner of a recently restored Greenie, I look forward your pics.
Jake

Spokane, WA
Shopsmith Mark V S/N: 354008 Born: 1958/Restored: 2015
Magna Bandsaw S/N: 31575 Born: 1956/Restored 2016
Magna Jointer S/N: 67527 Born: 1958/Restored: 2015
Funbilly
Gold Member

Post by Funbilly »

Thanks to those whom responded to my post.
I'm trying to figure this site out, and how to post pics.
But I plan on giving before and after pics of my project
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Posting pix is a bit convoluted. Upload(attachment)/Browse/Add/Place(inline). Also when you click on attach, the next step 'buttons' may be 'off the bottom of the screen'.

Also there is that size limitation. If too big it will inform you of the limits.

To edit pix down to size, I recommend 'IRFANVIEW' a downloadable 'freebie'.

Also as you add(up to 10) pix they will stack downward, so to get to the most recent 'place inline' button, you must go all the way down.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Welcome!

Always good to see a new person posting here.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures once you have that worked out.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

You really can do anything you need on these machines with the help here. I started not having ever seen one in person until I bought mine and have now taken the whole main unit, bandsaw, and jointer, plus a second mk V and now a 10er apart down to the last bolt and bearing with the exception of the motor - and even that I replaced bearings on. Also have taken my planer mostly apart. While the answers I found already here covered almost all of my questions, what made me feel comfortable diving in and doing so was the absolute knowledge that the people here would either have the answer or quickly help me figure out the answer to any that had me stumped. That's proven true time and again.

The other thing that helped is how much these are the product of a time when they made things with maintenance in mind instead of disposable everything intended to break no sooner than the warranty expires, and no later than the day after.

Please do read through the information in the threads mentioned above. This isn't the snooty "don't ask for help until you've spent a minimum of 48 hours flailing about with the search function" type answer you might see on some forums. It's just because there really is some great information there and you'll learn things you won't know to ask that way.

One last thing: Rust. I tried electrolytic rust removal and was utterly amazed at how effective, cheap, and easy it was. If you have not heard of it look it up. It involved no toxic crap, minimal elbow crease, got into the tightest little spots, and completely leaves the metal under the rust alone - the rust itself just goes and collects on a piece of sacrificial steel. Only issue I had was it did strip the paint off the legs, though I was happy about that.

Do share pictures!
richardrouse
Gold Member

Post by richardrouse »

The electrolitic trick works wonders on body parts. Just gotta resist the urge to stick bench / way tubes into the mix.. As the chromium could leach off the metal and create hexavalent chromium in your electrolitic solution.

Do that enough times in your back yard, you could probably get some Superfund dollars from the epa!