MY FIRST PLANE

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

S Brian
Gold Member

MY FIRST PLANE

Post by S Brian »

A couple of years ago, I went to Charlotte Michigan to take John Wilson's Shaker Oval Box class and really enjoyed the learning from John. Link to his web site: http://www.shakerovalbox.com/

Last year I bought John's book Making Wood Tools, so earlier this year, I decided to make the first project in his book, a block plane. The plans include all the information needed, plus how to make and heat treat the blade. Making the plane was relatively easy and it was a fun and useful project. The materials are Walnut and Birdseye Maple.

Brian
Mark V-500 Purchased New In 1980, SS Bandsaw (free), SS Jointer, SS 6x48 Belt Sander (free), SS Storage Station (free), Powermatic 64A Table Saw, Powermatic 1140F Drill Press, Delta 46-460 Midi-Lathe, Delta Scrollsaw, Bosch 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw, MLCS Router Table w/Bosch Router, Penn State dust collector.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: MY FIRST PLANE

Post by algale »

That's a work of art. If it works as well as it looks, you'll be in planing heaven.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Very very very very nice!!!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Nicely done!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Congrats, very beautiful! You may launch that down Hwy 31 to me, if you ever get tired of it!

Chris
S Brian
Gold Member

Post by S Brian »

Thanks guys! Here is a picture of my Shaker Oval Boxes. The material is Cherry.

Brian
Mark V-500 Purchased New In 1980, SS Bandsaw (free), SS Jointer, SS 6x48 Belt Sander (free), SS Storage Station (free), Powermatic 64A Table Saw, Powermatic 1140F Drill Press, Delta 46-460 Midi-Lathe, Delta Scrollsaw, Bosch 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw, MLCS Router Table w/Bosch Router, Penn State dust collector.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Very nice!
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Very nice plane and boxes. Congrats.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Good Lord you do good work!

Very nice!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
S Brian
Gold Member

Post by S Brian »

rjent wrote:Good Lord you do good work!

Very nice!
Thanks rjent! All of the work on the block plane is mine, but I must give some credit to John Wilson for the boxes. The class at John's Home Shop consists of 3-hours on Friday evening and then all day on Saturday. John supplies all of the material and lunch on Saturday, all for $90. The bands for the boxes are supplied with the fingers already cut to shape. When taking the class, only some trimming with a Stanley knife is required to clean the finger edges at a slight angle. The Friday class time is used to trim the bands, soak them in 200° water, forming the bands to the cores and then clinching the copper tacks. The last step is to add the top and bottom shaper blocks and let the bands dry overnight. Saturday is spent in fitting the bottoms of the boxes and the tops of the lids and securing these with pegs (tooth picks). All that is required after the class is to sand and apply your choice of finish at home.

Every thing you need to know about making Shaker boxes is at John's web site (http://www.shakerovalbox.com/), including supplies to make them at home. Here is a John's PDF guide to making Shaker boxes. makhttp://www.shakerovalbox.com/wp-content/upload ... lBoxes.pdf
Brian