What to look for when shopping for used SS Jointer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bobgroh
Gold Member

What to look for when shopping for used SS Jointer

Post by bobgroh »

I am considering the possibility of buying a used SS jointer for my 'new' (well, new to me anyways) SS510 to add to my existing SPTs (bandsaw and belt sander). There are always an assortment of them on our local Craig's List so I will be able to look at them before buying.

My question to the group: what are some of the key points I should check out while looking at a candidate. For example, the following would come to mind:
1. Table condition
2. All adjustments work
3. Knives spin easily
4. ?????

Would welcome all ideas and thoughts.

Bob Groh, Kansas City area.
gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

I would remove the knives and check the condition of the threads in the cutter head, both for the adjustment screws and the screws that hold the wedges in.
If you have a precision straight edge, make sure the infeed and outfeed tables are flat.
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
drnewton
Silver Member

Post by drnewton »

Check the condition of the knives. They are not cheap to replace and I don't think you can "properly" resharpen them without the SS jig.

Have the owner take the knives and wedges out for you. (See "Jointer Problem!" thread below).

Check the plastic (blah) dust housing for cracks, as well as the plastic (blah) coupler shroud. Not a big deal if they are slightly bent, but it seems to me that they could crack easily.

The fence on mine seems OK, but I would check the angle/miter adjustment. ShopSmith says it's one of their "top 15 ordered" parts.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The one problem I have had with the jointer was a worn out bearing. One test you can do is - rotate shaft of the jointer - It should rotate smoothly. Your fingers can feel if there is any roughness to the bearings. Also, give the shaft a spin. - - If I remember Bill Mayo's post correctly, the head should spin freely, but not keep spinning for a long time.

Also try to wiggle the shaft up and down. If it moves, a bearing or the head need replaced.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA