Router Arm users or even owners?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Router Arm users or even owners?

Post by reible »

Hi,

I have one of the old Shopsmith routing system, free standing table, upgraded table and router arm. This is the system that allows a router to be mounted below the table or on the over arm and used as a pin router. The design is like the shopsmith mounted that is now being sold by Shopsmith.

I'm looking for tips, hints, changes you might have made, attachments you might have added, fixtures.... well OK, all things related to this tool (either version).

I'm a rather new user of this type system but it seems to add a lot of flexablity to my shop.

I have modified one of the inserts to take guide bushing/templates bushings and they can be used rather then a pin for over-head routing and of course they work well when used for table work. I've changed the nuts used for height adjustment on the columm to ratching handles...... I found an old incra jig that fits the table... just to name a few things I've done.

I'd like to hear from you!

Ed
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I use mine strictly as a pin router for various multi part items that must fit tightly together.
Gene
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So at least one other person here has one of these.

Thanks for the post Gene!

Ed
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

I have one too!

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I believe the arm was made by Bradley and sold under the shopsmith name. I too have upgraded the table to allow a router to be mounted below as well as above. I did this as a space saver so I only need one table.

Shopsmith used to publish a number of plans using the pin router feature. My favorite is a jewelry box where you start with a solid block of wood, cut off 1/4" (I actually cut off 3/8" and route out 1/8" of the top) for the top and the route the compartments on the pin router using a template. I can't remember where I originally got the template pattern, but it's nothing special.

The great thing about these is you can make them in one session and they make great things for the various charity craft shows to which all woodworkers seem obiligated to donate items. I've probably made 2 dozen over the years.

I've also found the overarm router to be very useful in making mortises. Being able to see what you are doing is a huge plus. I usually route the mortise first and then round the corners of the tendons to fit.

If you are interested, I'll go searching for the jewelry box plans. I have them somewhere in my "library", i.e stacks and stacks of magizines and books.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Mine has a name plate with:
"BRYCO ROUTER ARM" "Division of Shopsmith Inc."
Serial # 002028

Mine came with the wood top but was missing the "pins". After trying to find some I gave up and made some out of nylon.

I then found a stand and a newer top with the hole for a mounting plate (for the router below). The table had some damage from falling or water or maybe both. It was on the very front so I was able to repair it with epoxy. I also need a few parts to upgrade mine to be as close as I could get to the newer version shopsmith sold back then (mostly dust collection).

I was able to get a newer yet table in good condition so I again upgraded.

I did see infomation about pin router plans in the old "Hands-On" but I don't recall what you are describing. If you do come across them let me know. They also had some "money making" kit which I guess had yet more plans???

We have an area over at ssug.org for this machine but not a lot of people own then or at least are willing to take the time to post about them. I do thank you for your post, maybe some more people will add to this??

Has anyone purchased the new one they sell that mounts to the shopsmith?? Like to here more about that too.

Ed