SS Speed

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: SS Speed

Post by Mike907 »

This chart says that it is an exact duplicate of the Power Pro electronic database:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... _chart.htm.

This chart is for the non Power Pro Mark V:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... dchart.htm.

Many differences. Drilling speeds vary by only 50-200 rpm, but, for example, the Belt Sander speeds for the Power Pro decrease with finer grits and increase on the non Power Pro Mark V, for a 500-600 rpm difference.

Mike
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Mike907 wrote:This chart says that it is an exact duplicate of the Power Pro electronic database:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... _chart.htm.

This chart is for the non Power Pro Mark V:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... dchart.htm.

Many differences. Drilling speeds vary by only 50-200 rpm, but, for example, the Belt Sander speeds for the Power Pro decrease with finer grits and increase on the non Power Pro Mark V, for a 500-600 rpm difference.

Mike

Just looked over the link you posted and I don't see the "exact duplicate of the Power Pro electronic database" words you mentioned........ yea old eyes don't see everything any more so could you point out where it says that?

I haven't dug my chart out yet, its packed in a box of stuff I cleaned up and just stuffed in a box to be sorted later, well it is in one of 3 such boxes. I'll try and do that later today if I have the time.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

The statement about the chart being a copy of the electronic database is on the chart itself. I can post a picture later, but it won't be until tonight.

Mike
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Mike907 wrote:The statement about the chart being a copy of the electronic database is on the chart itself. I can post a picture later, but it won't be until tonight.

Mike

Thanks Mike, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing it on the web page. I have the chart and will did it out soon so I don't need a picture... but maybe someone else would like to see it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Here, finally, are pics of the speed chart, and I can confirm that with the exception of one Scroll Saw speed setting missing from the printed chart, it is an exact match to the Power Pro database.

I don't know why the Belt Sander speeds are so different in new vs old speed charts.
Duplicate of Electronic.jpg
Duplicate of Electronic.jpg (266.32 KiB) Viewed 8711 times
New Speed Chart.jpg
New Speed Chart.jpg (237.63 KiB) Viewed 8711 times
Old Speed Chart.jpg
Old Speed Chart.jpg (317.52 KiB) Viewed 8711 times
Mike
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Mike907 wrote:Here, finally, are pics of the speed chart, and I can confirm that with the exception of one Scroll Saw speed setting missing from the printed chart, it is an exact match to the Power Pro database.

I don't know why the Belt Sander speeds are so different in new vs old speed charts.
Duplicate of Electronic.jpg
New Speed Chart.jpg
Old Speed Chart.jpg
Mike
There are two things that hit me immediately.

First, the old speed chart does not specify grit size so we do not know what Course, Medium and Fine actually refers to. That is not too important now given the second thing.

The second more glaring difference is that with the old chart the larger the grit the slower the speed. On the new chart the larger the grit the higher the speed. Both can not be right.

Since everyone has been using the old chart and speed dial for 60+ years my guess is that the new chart is wrong and if so then the Power Pro headstock is wrong. If this is true how does SS correct the computer in the PP head stocks already in the field?

Can someone with close ties to SS check with them on this discrepancy?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

My guess is that with the old chart the numbers are gross estimates that are intended to put you in the general range for the operation being charted.

The new chart, however, is a bit more scientific (exacting, if you will).

In both cases, remember that the craftsman has some responsibility in this matter too.

I see the number differences but I don't see any glaring errors.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I only posted pictures of the Belt Sanding speeds, but the newer chart calls for decreasing speed for finer grits in all sanding operations vs increasing speeds for finer grits with the older chart.

Mike
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:My guess is that with the old chart the numbers are gross estimates that are intended to put you in the general range for the operation being charted.

The new chart, however, is a bit more scientific (exacting, if you will).

In both cases, remember that the craftsman has some responsibility in this matter too.

I see the number differences but I don't see any glaring errors.
You don't see the fact that the speeds are upside down between the two charts? :confused: :confused:

The old chart has lower speeds for the corser grits and the newer chart has the higher speeds with the courser grits. That is a total reverse. :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The inconsistencies between charts don't bother me even a bit. I simply use 1350 (which is an easy to push button on the PowerPro) for all wood sanding.

Works for me, every time! Good results :D

Gotta KIS and don't sweat the small stuff. Wood doesn't know the differences, so long as it isn't burned. I use the green belts only on the belt sander and strip sander.

Used to use D-E on the old headstock.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA