Speed Reducer wabble

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chettrick
Gold Member

Speed Reducer wabble

Post by chettrick »

I have been using my speed reducer but when something is not exactly round, which is why I use it, it wabbles even after it rounds out. Is this normal or is therre an adjustment to control this. It makes it hard to round a blank.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

I've had problems with the speed reducer not installing exactly on the spindle axis. This is generally not a big issue unless trying to use the tail-stock with a center to steady a larger piece then it causes a lot of strange movements and binding around the spindle axis as it tries to move back and forth.

To check for this put the drive center or drill chuck on the speed reducer and the center in the tail-stock and see how they line up then turn the spindle and see if the shaft moves off of the tail stock center.
Jim in Tucson
chettrick
Gold Member

Post by chettrick »

I do use the tailstock with live center to help steady the large piece. I will have to try without it. I did align with just spindle drive and tailstock without the speed reducer but not turn it. I can look at that. THanks.
chettrick
Gold Member

Post by chettrick »

Tried a large piece without the tail stock and it worked perfectly. No wabble and it turned smoothly.