Mark V Quill Lock

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bigmoe
Gold Member

Mark V Quill Lock

Post by bigmoe »

I am on the finishing stages of getting my 1955 Mark V 500. I need some advice on my quill lock.
My quill lock will not lock. It appears something is missing, but when I look at the parts list, everything is there. The spherical washer is there, next is the quill feed sleeve, Washer and quill lock handle, but when tighten the quill lock handle it makes contact with the headstock first. Is there another anything else that I am missing. When comparing it with the exploded view it is all there. Below is a link to photos I took of the Quill Lock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28070376@N06/?saved=1
1955 Mark V ShopSmith greenie New to me :) Magna Band saw, Magna Jointer, Magna Jigsaw (Restoration in progress) Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System, Woodmaster Multi-tool (ShopSmith Clone)
When all else fails fallow directions.:)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Moe! On my 510 there are two quite thick flat washers between the quill lock handle and the headstock. I don't see these shown on the exploded diagram, but they came with my machine. Maybe if you add a couple of washers it'll work better.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
bigmoe
Gold Member

Post by bigmoe »

Got it going, I didn't realize a person had to work the conical washer under part of the headstock case inside for it to work properly. The person that had it before me had 2 large washers under the Quill Lock to sort of make it work. It had me scratching my head for a few days. reible on ssug.org is responcible for me finding the problem. When pulling the quill lock out of the headstock if your not careful the conical washer will end up in the motor cover/pan.
Moe
1955 Mark V ShopSmith greenie New to me :) Magna Band saw, Magna Jointer, Magna Jigsaw (Restoration in progress) Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System, Woodmaster Multi-tool (ShopSmith Clone)
When all else fails fallow directions.:)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Gotta correct what I said in post #2. The washer under the quill lock is a spring washer the measures 13/16" inside diameter. The two flat washers I referred to are under the carriage lock. Sorry!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA