Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Post by everettdavis »

My Google Drive

There are a few downloadable files on this page and numerous far too large to upload in this forum under the My Google Drive link above.
Negotiating Price ©Everett L. Davis 2020.pdf
(874.18 KiB) Downloaded 2386 times
What Can a Single Crosscut tell you.pdf
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 7225 times
Latest Files:

Oct 7, 2020 Negotiating Price Above

My Google Drive – Mark 5 / Mark V, 10E, 10ER, Mark VII, Mark 2, SawSmith and Other Restored Manuals and numerous other free documents for Mark V, Power Pro, Bandsaw, Jointer, Planers, Strip Sanders etc.you might like to have. Many oversized and redrawn illustrations exist. Should you find copies somewhere else, they existed first here.

There’s even a section from Dr. Hans Goldschmidth’s personal files he preserved.

Buying a used Shopsmith v2.pdf was previously downloaded about 5000 times in the forum before being relocated to My Google Drive in 2017

Files are grouped into numerous Folders under the My Google Drive link above to help you navigate by interest

• What is a Shopsmith or better yet What Shopsmith is it?
• I have used mine for years and I want to know more in depth information.
• I inherited my dad’s older Shopsmith. Where do I start putting it back in service?
• I bought a used Shopsmith years ago, but have not done anything with it, but want to.
• I have an older Shopsmith I want to sell and buy a newer one. Where do I start?
• I don’t even know the names of the various parts on a Shopsmith. Where do I go?

If any of those questions sound similar to where you are in your Shopsmith journey, then the revised Buying a used Shopsmith v2.PDF on the Main Page of My Google Drive link is for you.

Some folks are unaware of the extent of free resources available to them through direct Shopsmith offerings on-line such as those at http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/introduction.htm That where the Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone most current release for Mark 510 and up are used for illustrations.

Vast restored documentation and manuals exist on My Google Drive link above for the original MAGNA 10E and 10ER models dating back to the founding 1947 and many other models and Special Purpose Tools.

This on-line information also includes lesser known Mark 2 (1950’s), Mark VII (1960’s). 10E and 10ER restored manuals re-written in word searchable PDF format with enhanced photographs and illustrations available.

“Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone 1953 edition” is a fully re-rewritten and word searchable, with extensive active table of contents and it is based upon the 10ER model, written by R.J. De Cristoforo. If you are a 10E / 10ER enthusiast, this one is for you, and Free. The Mark V version is the on-line version at the Shopsmith Academy link above.

Equally there are free Summary Manuals for the Mark V 500 / 510 / 520 / and Mark 7 manuals (brief useful setup information) available in PDF from Shopsmith at https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... anuals.htm

There are documents being added continually to My Google Drive as I receive and restore them for the World Wide Shopsmith Community – Everett

Last edited by everettdavis on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:30 am, edited 231 times in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by JPG »

That is outstanding and belongs above the current 'stickeys'.

JMHO Admin!!!! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote:That is outstanding and belongs above the current 'stickeys'.

JMHO Admin!!!! ;)
I'll second that motion! Great job!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JMHO Admin!!!! ;)
You are most kind.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

algale wrote:

JMHO Admin!!!! ;)
I'll second that motion! Great job!

Thank you.
mr.d
Gold Member

Post by mr.d »

That's an outstanding document. Thanks for putting it together and sharing it.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Just a touch-up.

The "first" commercially available Shopsmith was the
10 E, not the 10 ER. As was mentioned, the ER was a
Revised version. The E model was the first. (Which, since it
wasn't the 10 or 10 A, may have been the 5th or 6th version,
but the first version sold.)

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

skou wrote:Just a touch-up.

The "first" commercially available Shopsmith was the
10 E, not the 10 ER. As was mentioned, the ER was a
Revised version. The E model was the first. (Which, since it
wasn't the 10 or 10 A, may have been the 5th or 6th version,
but the first version sold.)

steve
You are absolutely correct Steve, the very first model was the 10E and that's what Hans sold first through Montgomery Ward that got them started so many years ago.

In the revised document I cited the unmodified text of the original document presumed written by Nick Engler in the section titled A Little History. I believe that is the text you reference. I tried very diligently to leave his text as unmodified as possible.

I have attached a Vintage Machinery link to download the Montgomery Wards Operator Manual from that 1947 period submitted by a Dan Boschen, and as I reviewed it I didn't specifically find 10E/10ER references in it, which would make sense for a 10E manual since 10ER didn't yet exist.

Vintage Machinery cites it as a 10E owners guide and it is over 5 MB and too large to download and attach here in the forums I suspect. As a 10E / 10ER Guru I am sure you have had it for years. For those who might be interested in having it you may download it from

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2694

UPDATE: Free Fully Restored Manuals were created for both 10E and 10ER.

I posted those to My Google Drive above as well as to Vintage Machinery.

Far more legible, and additional content has been added, as well as a fully restored "Preliminary Manual" (based on John Burger's original) is present on My Google Drive.

Thanks Steve! :)
Last edited by everettdavis on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LR1231
Gold Member

Post by LR1231 »

everettdavis wrote:I added photos and added additional annotations and content to an original Text-Only document titled Buying A Used Shopsmith that I suspect was written by Nick Engler, though no author was listed.

I hope some find it of use.

Update: I had the wrong illustration reference # & description for the Arm Lock Knob (504293) in two places Page 13 & 14 and missed including the illustration for miter gauge hold-down on page 14 which I corrected by editing and deleting the original PDF upload, then replacing it.
Buying a used Shopsmith v2.pdf
Replacing the attachment itself resets the download counter to zero, so for all of you who may have downloaded it earlier, it is now corrected and you would need to re-download it to get the corrected version.

my apologies
Davis, I am a newbie forum member and I agree with the JPG comment about your post.

The PDF you created is simply exceptional, at least for me.

I don't know what stickeys are or what he means by this should be above them, but this document has helped me already get a real good understanding of what Shopsmith's are out there and how to approach buying one and repairing one.

I grew up with a neighbor down the street who used his Shopsmith rolled out into his driveway every weekend almost. I watched that man make everything as a kid. I knew wanted one when I grew up, but never bought one through the years though due to moving with my job every few years.

Reading this document and just a few of the posts here, I am confident I can find one, fix and use it.

Well done Davis. You made me a believer all over again and gave me some history, and I will be a better prepared buyer because of this, and now that my job is more established, I can see getting one.

I just can't wait to find one and get started. I am beginning to remember how I felt as a kid, and maybe there's one out there who I can introduce to this dream of mine.

Again, well done Davis!!

Lewis
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW, the "E" stands for "Experimental", not the fifth version.

The "R" stands for "Revised".

:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange