SS Band Saw Double Backup Bearing Upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

SS Band Saw Double Backup Bearing Upgrade

Post by jsburger »

Here is a set of prints for a DIY upgrade of the three blade backup rollers to double bearing. The prints are dated 2008 and that is about when I did the upgrade. The McMaster-Carr part numbers were all valid back then. If that has changed all the dimensions are there so the parts should still be able to be sourced. The installation is dead simple and has worked perfectly for me.

I am not sure where the prints came from. Maybe here. I apologies if this is a duplicate post.
Attachments
SS_Bandsaw_Bearing_Upgrade.pdf
(398.57 KiB) Downloaded 1087 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
damagi
Platinum Member

Re: SS Band Saw Double Backup Bearing Upgrade

Post by damagi »

jsburger wrote:Here is a set of prints for a DIY upgrade of the three blade backup rollers to double bearing. The prints are dated 2008 and that is about when I did the upgrade. The McMaster-Carr part numbers were all valid back then. If that has changed all the dimensions are there so the parts should still be able to be sourced. The installation is dead simple and has worked perfectly for me.

I am not sure where the prints came from. Maybe here. I apologies if this is a duplicate post.
LDH posted them in this thread: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?p=15583
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

OK, I thought so. It is a great upgrade and I encourage everyone to do it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

I have modified all of my SS band saws to use the double bearing setup as well as several for friends and members of our little woodworkers guild in Colorado. I don't recall having seen the modification prior to my drawing and photos in 2008.I am happy that it has worked for many users. One of these days SS may fool us and come out with a new model with a few of the modifications we have all found useful over the years. I have yet to put one of the modified saws on my PowerPro and that may be the best modification to date.
LDH
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I have been offering a similar double bearing update package kit on Ebay (billstoolz) for many years. I use ABEC7 rated bearings (34,000 RPM) made in Austria not China. I have installed over 200 sets of these bearings in the past 2 years with out any failure or noise. Instructions are included.