Belt sander won't run straight and tight

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mtseabee
Bronze Member

Post by mtseabee »

My belt sander attachment has never run straight and stayed tight enough, even under light pressure. What am I doing wrong? I've tried every adjustment that I can think of and still the belt runs to either side and loses tension very quickly. All of the adjustment items are still in good condition. Help!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The Shopsmith belt sander looks like the simplest machine in the shop to keep running right but, in my opinion, it is not. I have to fuss with it nearly every time I change belts and the problems that I have sound much like yours.

I recently got frustrated enough to just completely dismantle it, clean it, do a little lubbing and put it back together. Right now it seems to be working.

If you haven't watched the Sawdust Session on Belt Sander Tuneup, now is the time to do so. Pay particular attention to the instructions on how to align the upper drum and how to tension the belt.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS112/SS112_Belt_Sander_Tuneup.htm

Please let us know how this works for you.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Find a very stout spring to apply more tension when set. I enjoy mine-love that control over speed.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

mtseabee wrote:
My belt sander attachment has never run straight and stayed tight enough, even under light pressure. What am I doing wrong? I've tried every adjustment that I can think of and still the belt runs to either side and loses tension very quickly. All of the adjustment items are still in good condition. Help!
Running to either side means to me the tracking adjustment knob is being turned too much. It only takes a 16th of a turn to adjust the tracking after being properly set up. As for losing tension and belt slippage - I just don't know!

Follow the tune-up instructions Dusty gave you and if you still have questions - holler!! We'll try to help out.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Post by johnmccrossen »

As recommended, review the sawdust session, especially at the end where Nick shows how to wind the tension spring. I just finished rebuilding a 1960 Magna belt sander that had the same issue. I was convinced it was a basket case but after reviewing the video (more than once) I was able to disassemble, clean, lubricate, reassemble and set the tension to get it working properly. Now it holds tension right and tracks just fine once set. I did find out that I was turning the tension adjusting knob the wrong way at first. Also if you don't have a belt sander owners manual and parts list, you should order them from SS. They are very inexpensive and useful.

John McCrossen
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table
JMJ
Bronze Member

Belt Sander owners manual

Post by JMJ »

Where can or how can I get a belt sanders owners manual. I recently came across I believe is a 1958 Manga belt sander which I must say need some TLC. I would just like to get a manual to clean, adjust and replace what parts need replacing.

Any sugguestion out there.

Thanks,
JMJ