Newowner Informaton

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DMcCam
Silver Member

New to me Mark V, Ready to Dive in.

Post by DMcCam »

Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you for allowing me to join your wonderful forum! A few years ago I was given an old Mark V that's been sitting patiently in my garage for attention ever since. Now that I've found this treasure trove of information restoring her seems possible.

All the Best,

Dave
Dave
Reno, NV
Mark 5 "Greenie" SN 290470, Born March '55, Acquired April '11
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Newowner Informaton

Post by JPG »

Welcome to the Zoo! :D

Remember there are no dumb questions. :)

We been there scratched our heads also! :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DMcCam
Silver Member

Post by DMcCam »

Thank you JPG. I'm still trying to get my sea legs here; there's a lot to learn. Would you be so kind to let me know where I can find the original 1955 Mark V packing list? I'd like to know if I'm missing anything. I downloaded the MKVSTDPartsList _1_14.pdf but it appears to be for a later model.

Thank you again,

Dave
Dave
Reno, NV
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DMcCam wrote:Thank you JPG. I'm still trying to get my sea legs here; there's a lot to learn. Would you be so kind to let me know where I can find the original 1955 Mark V packing list? I'd like to know if I'm missing anything. I downloaded the MKVSTDPartsList _1_14.pdf but it appears to be for a later model.

Thank you again,

Dave
I do not have such a list, but can show you what came with my 1963 Goldie.
Goldie standard accessories 1963.jpg
Goldie standard accessories 1963.jpg (561.98 KiB) Viewed 40857 times
Should be visible after Admin kills the bug again.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DMcCam
Silver Member

Post by DMcCam »

Wow, Thanks JPG!

I can't see from the image, did the table come with a saw guard? If not, it looks like I've got the lot including the casters and a few more saw blades!

Dave
Dave
Reno, NV
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DMcCam wrote:Wow, Thanks JPG!

I can't see from the image, did the table come with a saw guard? If not, it looks like I've got the lot including the casters and a few more saw blades!

Dave
No. It was an 'extra cost' accessory.
goldie optional accessories p4.jpg
goldie optional accessories p4.jpg (693.72 KiB) Viewed 40829 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

DMcCam
Silver Member

Post by DMcCam »

I guess so! Back in the day it would have been like spending $200 today.

In reviewing the list, I've got the Table Insert Dado, Add-A-Coupler, Front Table Extension and Miter Gauge Safety Grip. I also have the Jointer. If everything cleans up OK, I'll have a good start.

Thank you again,

Dave
Dave
Reno, NV
DMcCam
Silver Member

Mark V, No Access Port

Post by DMcCam »

Hi Guys,

My Mark V does not have the access port opposite the speed control dial. How do you do check inside the housing without the port? Can you see anything by removing the Quill? I'm hoping to do a visual check before having to do a complete tear-down of the headstock.

Also, I managed to remove the speed control handle using a 5/64" Allen wrench but on the video the technician says to use a 3/32". Do the new handles use a larger size or do you think this is a mismatched replacement from the original owner?

Thank you in advance,

Dave
Dave
Reno, NV
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Dropping the motor pan(and motor).

That gets you in for a good look.

If the screw/allen wrench fit, do not 'fix' it.

The movable sheaves likely do not have an oil hole either.(if original)

The belt cover comes off easily.

The motor/motor pan removal is easier if you raise to vertical, install the table backwards(from the 'bottom' of the carriage) and use the table to support the motor and pan(heavy).

FWIW, you have an "A" headstock casting. You may also have a Gilmer drive.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

DMcCam
Silver Member

Post by DMcCam »

Thank you very much JPG for your excellent tutorial. Your help is greatly appreciated kind Sir. I'll take a peak inside once I can get her cleaned up a bit. The guide tubes are pretty rough and moving the headstock or table is quite difficult right now. Probably need to post some pictures too.

Gratefully,

Dave
Dave
Reno, NV