Mucking About With the Molder

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Mucking About With the Molder

Post by algale »

I recently acquired the molder head (two actually -- don't ask) and a handful of molder knives. The wife has asked for some picture frames for some prints and paintings so I decided it was time to try it out.

I read/watched everything in the Forum and on the Shopsmith site about the molder. There's really not that much out there about using the molder head so I though I'd post about my little experiment.

Because this was just test I decided to use some scraps of 2x6 that I had milled for another project.

The face profile was cut with the bead & cove molding molder knife (number 555038) in several passes until I achieved full depth.
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg (136.7 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
The cove in the side profile was made with the 1" flute molder knife (number 505573).
FullSizeRender(1).jpg
FullSizeRender(1).jpg (152.42 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
These photos are fresh off the molder head itself (and mitered) -- no sanding. Here's the end view:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (161.51 KiB) Viewed 7340 times
All in all I think the molder has tremendous possibilities. I did make one mistake. When cutting the flute in the side I forgot to check the carriage lock. When I started the Shopsmith up, there was more vibration than I had experienced with the first cut (using the bead & cove knife) and the carriage drifted and before I could knock off the power I had nibbled a 32nd of an inch off of my molder table insert. :mad:
Last edited by algale on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mucking About With the Molder

Post by algale »

LoL, the photos aren't uploading! I guess the molder will continue to be a mystery accessory!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Hope the photos appear later. Really thinking about getting one!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

One reason you do not see much posted about the molder, is a lot of folks are scared to death of them(with good reason). Also most that they do can be done with a shaper or router.

I prefer the molder, but it does have extra risks and requires more diligence when using.

For some reason they seem to demand a premium when being sold used.

BTW anybody know how the 'current' blades/holder differ from previous ones? There are two different 'old' style.

SS says the new style is not compatible with the older. ????????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I recall reading the new molder blades are thicker and assume the new molder head has a wider slot to accommodate the thicker blades. EDIT: Here's what they say: "Note: Molder heads shipped now (September 2011 or later) require newer style, thicker molding knives." http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... erhead.htm

I certainly understand why the molder is potentially dangerous but not why it is (or is perceived as) inherently more dangerous than a shaper. You mention extra risks, what are they in your opinion? Also why do you have a preference for the molder?

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:I recall reading the new molder blades are thicker and assume the new molder head has a wider slot to accommodate the thicker blades. EDIT: Here's what they say: "Note: Molder heads shipped now (September 2011 or later) require newer style, thicker molding knives." http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... erhead.htm

I certainly understand why the molder is potentially dangerous but not why it is (or is perceived as) inherently more dangerous than a shaper. You mention extra risks, what are they in your opinion? Also why do you have a preference for the molder?
The answer to both questions is due to the same 'thing'. The radius of travel of the cutting edge.

The area between the cutting edge and the head is sufficient to really grab in/on to body parts. The greater radius has the geometry to create smoother cuts.

That extra depth of exposed blade can really throw a workpiece if feed depth is to too deep and/or feed rate is too fast.

I have used both and respect both for what they are. Not sure they are superior to a high speed router except for larger profiles.(my router has a 1/4" collet)(really ancient).

I do not(yet) have a router table, so the SS with table is preferable to me for larger workpieces(and really small workpieces).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Continuing experimentation with the molder and a 2x6. We have some oil paintings with thick, wide, gold leaf frames and I'm trying to do something in the same style.

I am very impressed with what this tool can do with just the handful of profiles I have. The large cove was cut in three passes with the 1 inch cove knives mounted and a temporary fence set at 60 degrees to the cutter. Very little sanding was required. Much smoother than I could get using a table saw blade. I don't have the triple bead knives so the triple bead detail was made with the single bead knives and moving the fence progressively further from the cut. Makes me want more profiles!!!
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg (135.03 KiB) Viewed 7153 times
Last edited by algale on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Damn good looking 2 x 6 !!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Nice joint also???? :confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I would call that a very successful experiment.

I think I see picture frames in your future. :rolleyes: Good 45'sbecome extremely important when you cut your own profiled lumber. I tried a couple picture frames to ascertain that I was ready for cove moldings. I was NOT. :(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks for sharing; we don't see this topic come up often!