Mounting a Digital Readout

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Owad
Silver Member

Mounting a Digital Readout

Post by Owad »

I hooked a digital readout up to my shopsmith.

The configuration is inspired by the Shopsmith Edition Incra TS-LS: the encoder is mounted on the auxiliary table with a clamp and the scale is attached to the fence.

To connect the scale to the fence, I used a magnet on a board that attaches to the t-slot:

I posted a few more pictures on my website, but I think the above basically explains how it works.

My cuts tend to be off by about .004", which strikes me as pretty reasonable. I think there's probably more play in the shopsmith and in my skill than in the scale.

One nice feature about this scale (iGaging 24-inch) is that it can display fractions of an inch, to 1/64.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mounting a Digital Readout

Post by algale »

Great idea, thanks for sharing!
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Makes one wonder how they ever built those cathedrals in Europe without our modern technology and how such wonderfully crafted furniture was made without digital equipment and a Shopsmith.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

db5 wrote:Makes one wonder how they ever built those cathedrals in Europe without our modern technology and how such wonderfully crafted furniture was made without digital equipment and a Shopsmith.
Cut to 'fit'! :D

Also those huge quarry blocks moved without an equally large crane! See the latest 'discovery'
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

I picked up a Wixey WR700 at auction a while back. I was wondering how I would adapt it to my SS, now I know. Thanks Owad.
Owad
Silver Member

Post by Owad »

I got tired of adjusting the height of the auxiliary table, and tried attaching the DRO to a floating table instead. The DRO is very light, and the table doesn't sag at all. With the configuration pictured below, it's possible to do cuts up to about 16.5" inches. With no gap between the tables, the maximum is 12.75".
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Owad wrote:I got tired of adjusting the height of the auxiliary table, and tried attaching the DRO to a floating table instead. The DRO is very light, and the table doesn't sag at all. With the configuration pictured below, it's possible to do cuts up to about 16.5" inches. With no gap between the tables, the maximum is 12.75".

<span>" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://www.applefritter.com/files/IMG_0321.jpg[/img][/align]</a></span>

I added a Wixey digital readout to my Pro Planer.
DSCF0392(small).jpg
DSCF0392(small).jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 29488 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

OK, I have not posted here in a long time. Why does the picture I included not show up?
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Problem with new forum software. Periodically pics don't show up. Rest assured, they eventually will.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Thanks

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT