Thanks guys! I am pretty happy how it came out. I had a good machine to start with, some rusting on the way tubes, knobs, levers, bolts, and table rods, but they cleaned up pretty well, all with a wire brush of some size or another. I went through three of those wire brush wheels in the project Dennis LOL. Nothing was really all that bad, just dirty. I felt guilty at times painting over the original paint, because it was so good after I had clean it up, but I just wanted the "Greenie" 10ER, just a beautiful scheme, again, thanks Heathicus, great idea!
The Mark 7 was very handy because of it's speed control and reversing. I use it in lathe mode at 250 RPM and then had a hand drill with the wire brush going opposite direction of rotation braced against the tool rest. It took some time, but as you see they cleaned up pretty well. A few pits are left, but the headstock and the table carriage work like butter. I found a LOT of sawdust and just grime packed in the carriage locks in both the table carriage and the headstock locks. It was actually acting as a brake material in conjunction with the rough surface of the way tube. A pleasure to operate now. I forgot to put a picture of my tube turning solution (I will get a pic later and include it here). I just took a 4x4 block and turned it down to a cone. Then, with a BFH (Big Ferrous Hammer
) drove the tube onto the cone. I figured that at 250 RPM the tube would be easy to control. I was right. The other end of the tube was just riding on the crate pallet that the M7 was delivered on. I used a block screwed into the pallet to hold the tube into one place, the pallet had a couple of boards (not stock yet
) attached with wood screws at ninety degrees then another board secured to the end of the M7. It worked obviously
. The cone eventually "polished out" and would not hold the tube tight enough on the second tube, but my wife stepped in with another block I made with a "socket" that she used to press against the end of the tube with her hip to force it on the cone. I kept telling her to "put your weight into it!". She almost quit ....
It took me a lot of time to clean the tables. I really can't say why, it just did to get the "look" I was wanting. They are not perfect (nor finished yet) but good enough.
Dennis, I was thinking the same thing about the Mark 7. I was thinking if I walked into a showroom and was wanting to purchase a machine, the 10ER is more appealing .....
The fence detail, was just an inspiration from my hot rod and classic car overhaul days. I saw that 50's looking line and something just told me that needed a paint line. I just used a small ball peen hammer and cut the masking tape like I used to do with gasket material, then painted it. I am pleased with how that worked out.
Anyway, she's done, I look forward to getting my new saw blade in a few days (Amazon). I will tell a secret if nobody will tell anyone. Right now, I like using the 10ER table saw better than the M7. The 7 was just doing a better job, but I think the new blade will change that. I know the PowerPro is far better for heavy and thick, but for small work pieces, I seem to drift to the 10ER more. I know, what can I say, I am a green horn .....
I can email any and all picture in their full 4 meg size if anyone wants them.