lathe alignment issue.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

aireclyde
Silver Member

lathe alignment issue.

Post by aireclyde »

I got the assist to help lift the SS into drill press mode. now I cant line the tips up on lathe operations. is there and extension or something to help out.
I cant adjust the stock to make sure that they are in alignment before turning. Any help solving this problem is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the forum. What you are experiencing is one of the unadvertised consequences of the "lift assist".

To achieve alignment, I use a brad point bit as an extension.

You'll come to love your lift assist. How long it will take to do that depends on how old you are. We cannot ascertain that information because you have not completed the personal profile.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

aireclyde wrote:I got the assist to help lift the SS into drill press mode. now I cant line the tips up on lathe operations. is there and extension or something to help out.
I cant adjust the stock to make sure that they are in alignment before turning. Any help solving this problem is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
This is the solution I used for my operation. Shopsmith sells the extensions. Call and ask for the Lathe Duplicator Extension Spacer.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... 54&page=10
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.