old disk sander hubs

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

old disk sander hubs

Post by reible »

Hi,

Over the weekend I did a 500 to 510/520 hub conversion for one of my disk sander. This was the last one so all of my disk sanders are updated! (I have a total of 5, one with velcro, one for sharpening, and 3 with different grits)

I'm also trying to clean up a little and this is hard as I hate to throw out stuff but for the life of me I can't think of any good uses for the old shorter hubs. Since I had no luck getting the screws out (I just drilled the heads off) so I would have to deal with getting the old screws out to reused them....

Anyone found any use for these? Right now I'm thinking take out the setscrew and recycle the hub???

Ed
nhsd
Bronze Member

Post by nhsd »

I cut some disks from 1/4" hardboard drilled a center hole and attached them to my old hubs. I then glued on some red, grey and white nylon buffing pads to make disk buffers. You could attach leather and make a disk strop, etc. Additionally, you could attach a reasonably thick wood disk and make a disposable lathe plate. Just glue on a bowl blank (newspaper in between) and turn.

Dave Hall
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Some good ideas Dave. Thanks!

Anyone else got any potential projects or things they have used these parts for? I'd like to here somemore ideas before I commit to anything so please take the time to post.

Ed