shopsmith shipping

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

onevw
Gold Member

shopsmith shipping

Post by onevw »

What up with Shopsmith and these extreme shipping cost. And on top of that extreme shipping cost products do not leave the shipping point someday for many days. Also much longer travel times to the end locations. Do we have any other way to get them shipped to us?

Do not get me wrong I love this company they are producing and supporting with constant innovation a extremely quality, engineered, manufactured well supported american made product. No one has or is doing a better job of this for this long.

So I will continue to pay and wait but wish they could get the shipping problem solved.

Rick
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Shipping is high and will continue to increase as transportation costs rise.

In addition to that, USPS just went through a massive buyout of longtime employees and replaced them with new people who don't know how to make their system move packages. Packages that last year took 2-3 days will now take a week due to their incompetence and lack of training.

UPS has a major problem that they won't own up to. Their packages need a week or more to make the trip just like USPS. They have created a backlog of packages due to their own incompetence.

FEDEX bid out their ground delivery routes to the lowest bidder, so getting your package delivered to the right place is a huge challenge now.

So, with no competent shipper, nobody needs to try harder to compete today. Unless you can find another shipper interested in taking over, this is what we are stuck with.
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

The way I look at it, I'm lucky they are in still business otherwise it could be just used items on eBay, or not available at all. I don't mind their shipping costs, when I ship things it seems to cost about the same.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Despite the fact that I have an in-law who works for the Postal Service and is near retirement, I was unaware of this buyout.

Strange.

What is also strange is that recently (the last few weeks), my mail arrives here at the house earlier and there seems to be much less junk mail.

The buyout, it seems, would not effect that since the buyout was for mail handlers (not carriers).

My FedEx and UPS carriers continue to be outstanding. I have experienced no noticeable change in their services.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

dusty wrote:Despite the fact that I have an in-law who works for the Postal Service and is near retirement, I was unaware of this buyout.

Strange.

What is also strange is that recently (the last few weeks), my mail arrives here at the house earlier and there seems to be much less junk mail.

The buyout, it seems, would not effect that since the buyout was for mail handlers (not carriers).
This is a buyout of Mailhandlers. There was a larger one last year about this time that was offered to Clerks and other employees. The Clerks sort the mail and the Mailhandlers move it to the Carriers. This will all seriously affect delivery because the Carriers won't get the mail on time because it isn't sorted or moved around the country for days on end.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

onevw wrote:And on top of that extreme shipping cost products do not leave the shipping point someday for many days. Also much longer travel times to the end locations.

Rick

Just remember that once the shipper picks up the package. It's OUT of SS control.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

garys wrote:This is a buyout of Mailhandlers. There was a larger one last year about this time that was offered to Clerks and other employees. The Clerks sort the mail and the Mailhandlers move it to the Carriers. This will all seriously affect delivery because the Carriers won't get the mail on time because it isn't sorted or moved around the country for days on end.
How in tarnation can a reduction of 45,000 personnel NOT affect delivery.

If it be so, there is currently unnecessary wood in the pile!

And, how does storing stuff for a few days do anything useful?

Are folks shipping 'sporadically'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Just remember that once the shipper picks up the package. It's OUT of SS control.
Out of control 'period'!:D

That was not fair!;)

I think a lot of struggling takes place due to things out of the USPS's control.:(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Due to our rural existence, almost everything we buy is either online or through a catalog. When it's possible, I track deliveries. We've not experienced any SHIPPING delays with the USPS or UPS. Seems we don't get many deliveries by FEDEX. Any delays of the receipt of an order is almost always due to delays on the part of the shipper.
I've not ordered from Shopsmith in quite some time. Do they email you when they ship and give you a tracking #?
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

I am confused: I can ship a headstock via UPS to Dayton for about $60. I will pay Shopsmith at least $90 to return it via Fedex.
Tom Woods