Unopened 1981 MkV

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

highwing182
Silver Member

Unopened 1981 MkV

Post by highwing182 »

I was surprised to be the recipient of an unopened, never used 1981 MkV 500 this past weekend. I have always wanted one but did not expect to get it this way. It was like opening a time capsule. The box with all the parts still contained the shrink wrapped books, chuck wrapped in old Ohio phone book pages, everything else wrapped in brown paper. I kept the small tags covering the unwrapped cord and the knob that holds the rails in the press position.

The rails are perfect. The Aluminum tables are clean but slightly oxidized. The only mechanical issue was the saw table posts had light rust and corrosion that I knocked off with Scotchbrite and WD40. I used a wire brush to clean off the gears that drive these posts. The fixed table posts are clean. Before I bump the motor I will pull the belt cover and check belts and related hardware and oil the two holes as directed. It will be interesting to see what never-used belts look like after 33 years in storage.

My questions are:

1. What material and finish are the table posts made of?
2. Is wax the best protectant for these posts?
3. Should I use a little grease on the table post teeth even though it moves freely?
4. Should grease be used anywhere else after so long a wait for startup?
5. For the main chrome rails, should they be rubbed with a blue scratchless scotchbrite before waxing?
6. Any other guidance before bumping the motor?

I plan on a few options: specifically a set of premium casters, a see-through saw guard, and a hex key with a handle instead of the original basic key. Is it possible to put the 510/520 table adjustment wheel on the 500 without the full upgrade. Anything else that is a must-have to get started?

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.
highwing182
Silver Member

Original Paste Wax

Post by highwing182 »

BTW, the Johnson paste wax I bought at HD does not say "Original" and I could not find any that did. Is this a problem?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Mark 5 Model 500.

I am not inclined to answer your question about the wax because I don't know. I have always used the Original.

As important as a waxing, a proper lubrication is also in order. The sheaves would have to be bone dry by now.

Word of Caution: No not change the position of the speed control ever ever unless the drive shafts are being rotated - either manually or under motor power. Doing so causes damage to the speed control mechanism.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
henecle
Gold Member

Post by henecle »

Find the PTWFE book and read that first to understand what and how each operation works safely... Wax, lube, align and make some sawdust. Enjoy! :)
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
ipbarnard
Gold Member

Post by ipbarnard »

Tell us more about how you found this gem?

Foster From Flint
highwing182
Silver Member

Original wax and post metal

Post by highwing182 »

Dusty, are you still able to find the original wax or are you using an old supply?

I was aware of the speed control change while moving. Unless someone plugged this one in without taking the original tie wrap off the cord it has never rolled electrically (and the accessory box was still fitted in between the tubes) but the speed control is set mid range indicating it might have been moved. I would expect these things to ship at high speed to keep tension off the belt. I'll look for a post on the damage I might expect to see unless you can direct me there.

Any comment on the material used in the table posts? Given the teeth machined in I would expect its a common steel but I am surprised at the lack of rust on these after so many years.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I will try to answer some of your questions;
#1 I don't know what the material the posts are made of but I think they a steel alloy.
#2 Wax is the best protection. The factory recommended Johnson's original formula paste wax.
#3 No grease on the teeth. Grease causes sawdust to gather and will eventually bind the teeth.
#4 No grease anywhere
#5 Clean the tubes with a solvent then clean the solvent off and wax with the JOhnson's.
#6 Lube the sheaves as you intend to do. You may want to go through the speed range after lubing by putting the sanding disc on the spindle and rotating the disc by hand as you go SLOWLY through the speed range. This will distribute the oil along the shaft. Put the machine on "slow" speed before bumping the motor.
By the way, Your book will say to only use about two or three drops of oil but you can't over oil the machine so be a bit liberal because of the age and the time the unit has been in storage. Be attentive to changes in any sounds coming from your toy for the same reason.
Extend the quill and wax and buff the quill housing (the black cylinder that moves in and out of the headstock)
Welcome to the "club" and don't forget to come back and tell us how you made out.
Bill V
highwing182
Silver Member

Find

Post by highwing182 »

Foster,

I was at the sister in laws over the holidays and helping the nephew with Legos (lots of assembly required). The MkV had been passed on to them abruptly from someone else who was moving months before and it was just in her way under the cabinets in the garage. They would never use this clean of a garage for wood working and had no where else for it to go. Only the outer box was missing so I could tell what it was but didn't realize it had never been unpacked. The legs were still wrapped in paper and held in between the tubes by the cardboard spacer. The accessory box was still unopened and on the rails as well.

As a Mustang fan, this seems like a real barn find as long as the years of sitting idle have not locked the motor or dry rotted the belts.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

highwing182 wrote:Dusty, are you still able to find the original wax or are you using an old supply?

I was aware of the speed control change while moving. Unless someone plugged this one in without taking the original tie wrap off the cord it has never rolled electrically (and the accessory box was still fitted in between the tubes) but the speed control is set mid range indicating it might have been moved. I would expect these things to ship at high speed to keep tension off the belt. I'll look for a post on the damage I might expect to see unless you can direct me there.

Any comment on the material used in the table posts? Given the teeth machined in I would expect its a common steel but I am surprised at the lack of rust on these after so many years.
I can not answer that without checking. I bought a can, even though I still had some, about a year ago. I got it at a nearby Ace Hardware Store. I'll check the next time I am there.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

highwing182 wrote:Dusty, are you still able to find the original wax or are you using an old supply?

Around here, the original JPW is sold in the big orange box store.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!