It Has Been Good Working With You

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

drifter17 wrote:Most MS programs will not run on Linux without the use of an emulator such as "wine". but this is not needed because for most MS programs there is a Linux alternative most of which to not cost anything, MS Office- OpenOffice or LibreOffice do the same thing and are free they will also work on you MS machine and i recommend both. as for internet explorer no it will not work on linux thank god, it is one of the best virus seeking programs known to man. but linux will run firefox or google chrome both good browsers.
You say they do the same thing. Yes they all create a letter or a doc but try using them to create a sales flyer with graphics, special fonts, and things that catch the eye. Then they all do the same thing becomes a little less true.

Everyone keeps telling me about how IE is a virus magnet and I submit IE has nothing to do with it. It is people that are usually looking to get something for free that end up with viruses. My grandchildren are classic examples, give them a virus free machine for 5 hours and when they finish it will be loaded with malware/viruses. Why they see the word free and are drawn like a moth to fire.

Everytime I have ever ran into a virus and thankfully my MS security essentials have stopped it was when I was trying to get something for free or down loading from site other than the manufactures own site. Plus the fact I never open mail from people I don't know. I see the name if I know it or can place it I will open the mail (never an attachment). If I know the person well and think they are smart enough to avoid viruses I may let my virus checker test the attachment and then and only then will I open it.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:You say they do the same thing. Yes they all create a letter or a doc but try using them to create a sales flyer with graphics, special fonts, and things that catch the eye. Then they all do the same thing becomes a little less true.

Everyone keeps telling me about how IE is a virus magnet and I submit IE has nothing to do with it. It is people that are usually looking to get something for free that end up with viruses. My grandchildren are classic examples, give them a virus free machine for 5 hours and when they finish it will be loaded with malware/viruses. Why they see the word free and are drawn like a moth to fire.

Everytime I have ever ran into a virus and thankfully my MS security essentials have stopped it was when I was trying to get something for free or down loading from site other than the manufactures own site. Plus the fact I never open mail from people I don't know. I see the name if I know it or can place it I will open the mail (never an attachment). If I know the person well and think they are smart enough to avoid viruses I may let my virus checker test the attachment and then and only then will I open it.

Go get AVG! Get Firefox! Put em on that virus free machine.

Put two wired routers between the modem and the vf machine.

Go in Peace!]) Tool Bars do not 'count'. They be trojan horses fer sure!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

skou wrote:Dusty, the offer still stands.

Let me know what is happening, I've got "some" experience with computers. (More than you have with ERs, it would seem.)

steve
I think I may have resolved the issues with my GOTO computer. I won't know for sure until I get new memory cards.

Right now, with three of the memory cards removed, the system boots and appears to be working (at least to the extent that I have tested it). It is out in the shop right now and I cannot connect to the internet and I have only one monitor there.

If I install any of the memory cards that I now have removed, it locks up.

Maybe I should just operate with what I have.

This system began life as a gaming computer. It has now been reduced to minimum memory, a single dual video card (it originally supported four monitors) and has only one of its' original four (SATA) hard drives.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
drifter17
Silver Member

Post by drifter17 »

If you want to make a flyer you could use scribus. very nice program
A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. Yogi Berra
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

dusty wrote:I think I may have resolved the issues with my GOTO computer. I won't know for sure until I get new memory cards.

Right now, with three of the memory cards removed, the system boots and appears to be working (at least to the extent that I have tested it). It is out in the shop right now and I cannot connect to the internet and I have only one monitor there.

If I install any of the memory cards that I now have removed, it locks up.

Maybe I should just operate with what I have.

This system began life as a gaming computer. It has now been reduced to minimum memory, a single dual video card (it originally supported four monitors) and has only one of its' original four (SATA) hard drives.
Dusty, your memory may be suffering from overheating, or is is "value" memory. ("Value memory," in my experience, rarely is. Kingston, KVR NEVER is.)

Bro, (unless you're in Hawaii, then it's "bra") send me your specs. We'll sort this out. (All the component's model numbers, or some other ID) And we can decide what you need to do. Motherboard, CPU, and memory specs. Since it has been running for a while, and recently went "Tango Uniform" (mammary glands up) some component has died. We need to figure out what that is. I'm betting it is the memory sticks, or a hard drive.

steve
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

skou wrote:Dusty, your memory may be suffering from overheating, or is is "value" memory. ("Value memory," in my experience, rarely is. Kingston, KVR NEVER is.)

Bro, (unless you're in Hawaii, then it's "bra") send me your specs. We'll sort this out. (All the component's model numbers, or some other ID) And we can decide what you need to do. Motherboard, CPU, and memory specs. Since it has been running for a while, and recently went "Tango Uniform" (mammary glands up) some component has died. We need to figure out what that is. I'm betting it is the memory sticks, or a hard drive.

steve
You are dead on. I ran a memory test (Western Digital) to verify the memory. I lost two of my Corsair 2gb memory sticks. I have a full set of new Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C on order. Should have them early next week.

I am getting ready to reevaluate the "defective" hard drives (WD1500ADFD-00NLR1) that I have removed. They were originally in a RAID5 configuration. I think I may have abandoned them prematurely.

With a single Corsair 1GB memory stick, the computer (with an ASUS M2N32SLI Deluxe mother board) is working fine. The current temperature is varying around 39°C.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

After being without my GOTO computer for a while, I have learned just how spoiled I have become.

I really appreciate, of all things, the larger dual monitors.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Besides the problems previously discussed, I have not been able to make a wireless connection using this computer (my GOTO machine). All of the other computers that I have ready access to, go wireless with little or no effort (a couple of them using the same wireless adapter that does not work in this machine).

I don't know why, but I decided to do a "musical chairs maneuver" with the wireless adapters.

You guessed it. The computers can now ALL go wireless provided they are paired with the right adapter.

The problem adapter is a Netgear Adapter (WNDA3100v2 with software version 1.3). This adapter works without exception in those computers that are running Windows XP. My goto machine runs Windows 7.

Who'd a thunk it?

At least I got a bit of an education on wireless networks - I think.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I may never learn. I got lucky today. I tried to "test" the suspect hard drives by connecting them to this computer (one at a time) only to crash the system.:eek:

As you can tell, I have recovered but I still have three hard drives that I would like to test. However, that will not happen on this computer.:( I dodged one self directed bullet; I'm going to try to not do not again. I have three other computers to use as sacrificial test beds.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

Dusty,

You can't test a power supply without a motherboard load on it or a bench tester designed for the PS. Hooking a Volt/Ohm meter won't work.

W7 is much like Vista regarding hardware obsolescence. You can check the manufacturers support for a W7 driver.

Good luck and I hope you are healing well.
Craig
Hartland, WI
-Mark 5 "Greenie" S/N 342238, Manuf. mmm/mmm 1957, Acq. Oct. 2008, Joiner S/N M067266
-10 E/ER(?) S/N Unknown, Joiner 4E S/N 40051